New Discussion юеВ

Re: model changed after main board replaced

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Yu
Super Advisor

model changed after main board replaced

Hi all,

One of our L2000 (9000/800/L2000-5X) server had some problems, and the HP CE replaced the main board of the server and resolved the problem, everything worked fine since then. But I just noticed that when I issued "model" command, it says the server is 9000/800/L1000-5X, and SAM also said the sever is "L1000" now.

could anyone kindly confirm that the model are determined by the main board, so that I will open a call with HP?

thanks,
Gary
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The model is determined by system board -- just not in the way that you might think. Model models might share a common part number and yet all would report the correct model string. The "trick" is that the model string is written to "Stable Storage" -- EEPROM or NVRAM on the system board. You need to get your HP Mr. Goodwrench back out and have him run "ss_config" which should have been part of his normal systemboard replacement procedure.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Actually, and no dis-respect to Clay, the command at the firwmare level that needs to be run is "upgrade". It is a hidden command, but doesnt require a ss_config tape or CD. You may not even need HP on site for this as when you issue this command it gives you a code that a Response Center engineer may be able to utilize and give you a return code to enter (which then validates the actual upgrade). The only thing you will need is proof that you had an L2000 server in the first place!

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Gary Yu
Super Advisor

Thanks Clay and Robert, I had an L2000 at the first place :) -- I have generated some system snap shot for my own system archive, and "model" command is one of them.

OK, I guess I need to bug the CEs again .

thanks,
Gary
Saurav_1
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Actually ss_update is the command. which will update the model string of the server. With this you can set the model string of the server and even the serial no. of the machine. This is saved in the eprom. to continue the support service of the HP box from HP. U have to take help of HP CE. it is must.

Saurav