New Discussion юеВ

n4000-65 processor installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

Re: n4000-65 processor installation

hi,

does the server boot up and just not detect the last two cpu's installed but still works with the first 4?

if so looks like a bad cpu, try swapping the 0 and 2 slot cpu's around. If 0 is bad it could stop 2 from working.

Also while they are out make sure the slots are clean and dry and that the pins "Fuzzy Buttons" on the bottom of the cpu's are all present and not missing damaged. one missing pin will stop it from been detected. You have to look very carefully.

if that doesnt work then swap them around with the first two in the system, just incase there is a c version mismatch. Shouldnt really cause a problem, but i have seen it where we have had to have the later revision ones in the first slots.

All the cpu's should have black tops too, not purple?

its just trial and error really, but you only need to boot it up as far as PDC to check the cpu's

Andy

Shankar_6
Regular Advisor

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your suggestions..I will check this and update the results here..

Shankar_6
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I will try changing the cpu0 and 2 this week to see if cpu0 has problem causing cpu2 not getting detected.

If swapping does not work and cpu "fuzzy buttons" are ok..what is the next step..?

I do not want to try swapping the working cpu's to put on slot 0 and 2,as it can cause damage to them if system baord is faulty..? am i right here..?

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

I understand your conceerns

your right to try the suspect cpu's first, and i would try one at a time too.

You could damage the cpu's when removing them, if they have been excessively tightened, yes, but just the fuzzy buttons.

You can replace this part of the cpu if you have spares, or the repair kit to hand

out of interest, what is the PDC firmware of the system as well.

Also check the c version of the existing cpu's at either pdc or with STM, may tell you, and compare the dash part numbers of the cpu's -04001/04002 for example

Andy

Shankar_6
Regular Advisor

Hi All,

we have replaced the processors and it got detected..

thanks for all your reply
Shankar_6
Regular Advisor

closing thread