1752807 Members
5979 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: n4000 and L3000 memory module compatibility

klb
Valued Contributor

n4000 and L3000 memory module compatibility

Looking to harvest some memory from a L3000-7x (rp5470 ?? ) box for use in an N4000-44 ( rp74xx ?? ).

I need to know whether these two server classes use the same type of memory DIMM modules/carriers.

Also, are there any OS specific commands that will display the current number of memory carriers installed and/or the number of DIMMs installed on those carriers?

Thanks,

-Kevin
10 REPLIES 10
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
For the first one
""I need to know whether these two server classes use the same type of memory DIMM modules/carriers.""

Not sure But i think you could check with the part numbers at
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main
You can know the part numbers from the STM.

For second one:
""Also, are there any OS specific commands that will display the current number of memory carriers installed and/or the number of DIMMs installed on those carriers?""

Run STM and take the info i think this should give you the exact info you are looking for.

Regards

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

There are different part numbers for the memory and carriers.
Mom 6
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The memory is completely compatable between the L-class and the N-class.

Don't know about the memory carriers though.

What are the chances...

The memory carriers are different. But the Memory modules are compatible with both the servers.

Sunil
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

With diffent part numbers, it might be an issue with you HP hardware support contract (assuming you have one). If so, you should check with them for supportability. HP has different part numbers, which may just be for tracking purposes, or my have difference in whether installation is or is not included in the purchase price. Still, it could become a support issue if it isn't cleared by HP.
Mom 6
klb
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone.

Hp says it might work, but is NOT supported under our contract.

They recommended American Memory for legacy system memory upgrades.

2GB kit under $1000 ( 2x1024M Dimm )

HP's price was around 17,000 for a single 1GB Dimm!

Thanks for your help.

-Kevin
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Yes - that's always been a sore spot for us as well. Even though the L-class & N-class memory have diff HP P/Ns, they are in fact the same memory modules. Just look at the actual manufacturer numbers on the DIMMs themselves.
Yet HP charges *much* more for the N-class DIMM than they do for the L-class DIMM. We've never understood why they do this....well yes we do, but we don't like it.
Heck if they'll support the 3rd party memory, I'd say go for it. And make sure they know why.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

In response to Jeff, some memory modules have the installation included in the price while some other have installation at an additional (optional) cost. Not sure that you can explain the total difference in cost that way, but it is a difference. I am very surprised that any third party memory was suggested or supported. One of the problems is that on older memory, HP never seems to revisit the memory pricing, even when the costs go way down. You might be safer asking for a quote on remarketed HP memory. Just stick the letter R at the end of the normal part number.
Mom 6
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Ted,

I hear what you're saying, but this is *way* beyond that.
A quick check of partsurfer for new parts shows that the cost for the 1GB upgrade (2 x 512 DIMM) for the L-class is $2511.
But for a *single* 512 DIMM for an N-class is $9849. That's a factor of almost *eight*.
I don't think install costs *quite* that much.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!