Did you mean: 

nPars on the rp7420

SOLVED
Go to solution
doris grady
Frequent Advisor

nPars on the rp7420

Hello,
Are there any partitioning rules of thumb with regards to sizing that are best considered when planning to migrate applications from several scattered K580s to a rp7420 and making use of nPars? This question is wide open, but if you can share/point what the general considerations/concerns are with this undertaking, and what the pertinent questions are that should be asked... that can help determine if this is a feasible move. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Re: nPars on the rp7420

Hi Doris,

It is perfectly possible to do this.
But is diffult to give an advise if we don't know the applications and the load.

rp7420 runs only on hpux11i

More info on

http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/rackoptimized/rp7420/index.html?jumpid=go/rp7420
Alzhy
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you're getting a full blown rp7420 and you're consolidating several K580s on that boxen - then I think you can use nPars. You can even do a combination of nPars/vPars to be really flexible specially if you need to maintain the migrated K580 environments as distinct environments.

With a fully loaded 16-cpu rp7420, you can have up to 8 vPars with each having 2 CPUs, 8GB of memory and 2 PCI-X slots populated with combo FC+GigE cards. You boot off the SAN or from your Fibre Array to do away with local bootdisks.

Such configuration can be flexible even for prod environments. Say for instance at night half of the environments can be shut down so additional CPUs can be dynamically added to what ever vPar its needed. Likewise you can reduce the number of vPars so you can have a floating set of CPUs to move around where needed.

vPars is a very solid product on PA-RISC systems and is a good way of exacting the most out of these servers.

Hakuna Matata.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The rp7420 can only have two nPars, since it only has two cells. Each nPar can be subdivided into vPars, but remember that you need a minimum of one CPU, realistically 2 GB of RAM, and dedicated LAN and Disk I/O slots per vPar. While in theory you could have 8 vPars per nPar, you would have to have 7 or 8 of the combo cards (LAN & Disk) to do this, depending on your core I/O use for one vPar. My favorite combo card is the dual GigE LAN/dual FC card,
Mom 6