1752305 Members
5220 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: network not working after reboot

Roberto Martinez_2
Frequent Advisor

network not working after reboot

Hi, we have a rp3440 with 2 double Gigabit adapters. After configuring the builtin ethernet interface and the double gigabit adapters, everything works fine (100Mbps fullduplex). After reboot, machine is not able to ping anything "near". after ifconfig xxx down + ifconfig xxx up, connectivity returns. I have tested forcing to 100Mbps full, and to autonegotiate, with same results. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
Keith Bryson
Honored Contributor

Hiya

First of all, get a list of your interfaces using 'ioscan -fnC lan' and/or lanscan. Check in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf and make sure that the boot state (INTERFACE_STATE) is not set to 'down' at boot. What happens if you do a 'lanadmin -x {interface_id}' ?

Keith
Arse-cover at all costs
Roberto Martinez_2
Frequent Advisor

ioscan -fnC lan returns the correct information
Hardware Station Crd Hdw Net-Interface NM MAC HP-DLPI DLPI
Path Address In# State NamePPA ID Type Support Mjr#
0/1/2/0 0x00306E4B4E0D 0 UP lan0 snap0 1 ETHER Yes 119
0/3/1/0 0x00306E5DFE32 1 UP lan1 snap1 2 ETHER Yes 119
0/3/1/1 0x00306E5DFE33 2 UP lan2 snap2 3 ETHER Yes 119
0/4/1/0 0x00306E5DFE38 3 UP lan3 snap3 4 ETHER Yes 119
0/4/1/1 0x00306E5DFE39 4 UP lan4 snap4 5 ETHER Yes 119

INTERFACE_STATE is "up" in rc.config.d/netconf for all the interfaces I've configured.

lanadmin -x returns 100Mbps half duplex (autonegotiation is on).

Keith Bryson
Honored Contributor

Which interface is assigned your IP? Also check your driver with the 'ioscan -fnC lan' command (probably igelan). You then need to make speed/duplex settings re-boot proof in the /etc/rc.config.d/{driver} file (e.g. /etc/rc.config.d/hpigelanconf for igelan cards).

Keith
Arse-cover at all costs
Keith Bryson
Honored Contributor

Also check with your network team the speed of the switch/hub interface, so you can set the configuration for boot time ; )

Keith
Arse-cover at all costs
Binukuttan VM_1
Frequent Advisor

Have you changed hostname.check /etc/hosts

check /etc/rc.log for errors while starting network services
Roberto Martinez_2
Frequent Advisor

re-checked rc.config.d files (they are updated by sam).
I've seen something strange in /etc/hosts, I'll reboot and update information on this thread.

Keith Bryson
Honored Contributor

Roberto

You must match the switch speed/duplex to the card. By the looks of it, the switch is not running 100FD. Can you check?

Keith
Arse-cover at all costs
Roberto Martinez_2
Frequent Advisor

More information:
netstat -r returns, among others:

default 10.216.143.254 UG 0 lan1 0

So the problem is, apparently, that the default gateway is set to be at lan1, and not lan0 (lan1 is detached from the network by now). I've set it correctly in netconf, but the problem is still happening.
What I want to do in the future is to configure both interfaces as a single "virtual" interface so a physical failure in one does not affect service. Do you know how to do it? TIA.
Roberto Martinez_2
Frequent Advisor

ok, apparently, you can not configure two nics on the same network on hpux 11, without MC/SG or APA. See http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=233029

Thank you all, anyway.

ROberto