108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

official end-of-support date for D390?

SOLVED
Go to solution
abc_18
Regular Advisor

official end-of-support date for D390?

Can someone please point me to a URL that gives the end-of-support data for the HP 9000/D390 series of HP-UX machines?

tour(bob) 7>model
9000/800/D390

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Hemanth Gurunath Basrur
Honored Contributor

Re: official end-of-support date for D390?

Hi,

I could not find any information on the end-of-support data for D390 series.

Did you receive any communication from HP about discontinuance of D390?

Regards,
Hemanth
abc_18
Regular Advisor

Hi Hemanth,
Actually it's not just D390's.
Some upper level IT person in our company
is telling us that we need to replace all
of our 5-year-old hardware (of which the
D390's are one example) because HP will
does not supply replacement parts for
such "old" equipment.

I'm trying to find documentation from HP
that proves (or better yet, disproves)
this claim.

Thanks.
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't have any pointers to official documents, but management at the company I work at now was apparently informed by HP that D-class servers go off support December 2005.
--
Jeff Traigle
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Tell that upper-level IT brain trust that it's not a matter of parts availability - heck you can still get parts for T-class systems - it's that maintenance costs get prohibitive as the system gets older.

Cheers,
Jeff (Sheesh...makes you wonder...)
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

If you have a support contract, it will indicate on it when things are going to go out of support - once they get close enough to end of life, that is. I think they start warning a year in advance.

Pete

Pete
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

5 years is definitely not an HP limit. As mentioned, you can get parts for HP 9000 computers that are more than 10 years old. There is a difference between end of hardware support and parts no longer available. End of support refers to HP's availability of support contracts. If you have support contracts on these machines, just call your support rep and they can tell you the current plans. If you don't, there are numerous hardware vendors that have lots of parts (and service in some cases) to fix old equipment. The D-class is not really old as HP 9000's go. Boxes like the T-class and the F,G,H and I-class servers are old and probably can't be put under hardware contract, but these are more than 10 years old--yet you can get lots of parts for them at bargain prices. This assumes that you really like the 20-50Mhz speed..

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
abc_18
Regular Advisor

Bill, not quite sure I follow - why wouldn't
there be support contracts available if
hw replacement parts ARE still available?
I'd think HP would want to get those
support contract dollars if in fact they
could support those boxes (ie, if replacement
parts were still available).

On a related note, is there a HP standard
for hw replacement part availabilty? Eg,
"Replacement parts for a D390 will be
available for N years *after* the D390
itself is dropped from the Corp. Price List"??

Thanks.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Support contracts are developed based on business needs. There are parts available from HP for products that are 15-20 years old, but a contract (where someone comes out and repairs the unit) may not be available. The difference is labor and logistics. If you do your own repairs, then a support contract may not be of any interest. You can always check out parts availability with http://partsurfer.hp.com/

When a local/regional/country office decides to offer a support contract, the decision is based on training/experience, local parts stock and travel time (and other factors).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

According to our support contracts, the D250 ends 12/31/2005. The D390 has no end date published on our support contracts. Some cards and drives come out of support in the next couple of years.

If you're paying for support, then your bean counters need not worry with whether HP stocks parts or not, that's HP's job.

At some point, it may cost more to support something than to buy new, but that's just math, and it's specific to _your_ situation.