1752568 Members
5442 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: power cycling a system remotely

khilari
Regular Advisor

power cycling a system remotely

Hi guys, i wanted to ask that lest say if i want to power cycle a server and i am not at the console then is their any utility which can help me do it while being remote to the site...
I know the commands shutdown -ry 0. But that will only reboot it. what about power recycling..
Thanks

----------------

P.S. This Thread has been moved from Servers --> General to Servers --> HP9000 - Forum Moderator.

6 REPLIES 6
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Yes if you can connect to the GSP over the LAN...though it would depend on the model of the server you are talking about?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You must connect to the GSP/MP/iLO and issue either "PC" or "PE" (model depending) from the command menu.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

You power cycle a HP9000 or Itanium server using the MP/GSP. This depends on what kind of server you have.

http://docs.hp.com/en/hw.html

select your server in above link and open the user guide.

Regards,
Robert-Jan

James George_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi

If you have console access, you can do it.

James
forum is for techies .....heaven is for those who are born again !!
Sp4admin
Trusted Contributor

You can configure the GSP port to connect as a console. Then as Torsten said you can use PC or PE to power cycle server and other H/W.

sp,
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As mentioned, the server must have a GSP/MP/iLO version that has the power cycle command. Older models have no remote power cycle (ie, N-class, K-class, D-class, etc). Secondly, the remote site must have been setup to activate a remote console connection, that is, the LAN cable to the management port is connected and a working IP address (and subnet mask, etc) is assigned to the port. If none of this was done, then, no, you cannot power the system off with a standard network connection.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin