108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: power up order for rp4440 hooked to EMC CX300

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

power up order for rp4440 hooked to EMC CX300

I asked EMC for the order I should power up the rp4440 and CX300 disk array. They told me:

1. power up the rp4440 (but they didn't say if I need to fully boot up).
2. power up the fibre
3. power up the disks in the array
4. power up the SPS on the array
5. THEN PLUG IT IN to live power.

I don't know if I should have powerpath running on the rp box before or after the EMC array is up.

I don't know why I have to bother flipping switches on a rack that HAS no power.

Any EMC-hp users out there? What is the PROPER way to power up this stuff? EMC support didn't make much sense. They didn't seem to speak English.

3 REPLIES 3
tkc
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

hi steve, the rp4440 should always be the last to power up. if you still would like to up the rp4440 first, you can stop at the bch menu and wait for others to be up before bringing up the o/s.
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

I need to know if the CX300 is going to complain about the unix box being unavailable because powerpath would not be running on unix at the time the CX300 is powered up.

Gee. I guess I'll find out. Too bad I couldn't get an answer from EMC about it.

I'll boot it up to the bch menu. I'm waiting on the points until after the maintenance.
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Ok.
I powered up the unix box to the boot control handler menu (bch). But I call it the 10 second point because that's when it says "....you have 10 seconds to..."

I powered up the EMC array. It started fine. Inside the Navisphere gui interface, it showed the host was down (of course). It did not get destroyed at all. It took about 5 minutes for the amber light to go out on the main disk array. (I'm sure it has a fancy acronym. I just don't feel like sounding smart on a Monday morning).

I rebooted the unix box. It came up fine. Thanks for the help.