SOLVED
Go to solution
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

re : 10.20 operating system question

Hi Guys,
Can anyone advice with the quires i have below

1. How can I find a copy of the G40 service manual or installation guide

2. I have this problem, I have install the G40 to 10.20 os with the latest patch but is on two user license, somehow or rather when more than three user login it will be kick out, how can I increase the user license

3. Assuming that there is a problem in regerating the kernel after changing some parameter, I manage to bring up the os with /stand/vmunix.prev . After that have I to replaced the existing /stand/vmunix with /stand/vmunix.prev, can I have the steps to do this.

Plaese help and advice???

Regards
Vincent
nothing is better than to know more
8 REPLIES 8
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: re : 10.20 operating system question

Hi,

I guess there was never a service or install manual for this box on the web.
I'm not sure if there was a pdf reader already available at this time.

Regarding the license - it is a license!

At least at the time these boxes were running customers had to buy it. Consider to telnet to the box. All telnet users are counted as only 1 together.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

Let me try to answer your 3rd question. Refer to http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90672/ch02s03.html#d0e3332, look for the topic on "Booting an Alternate Kernel". After you have successfully boot from an alternate kernel, you can just copy the file over /stand/vmunix using the mv command.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi

> 2. I have this problem, I have install the G40 to 10.20 os with the latest patch but is on two user license, somehow or rather when more than three user login it will be kick out, how can I increase the user license

You will have to purchase additional licenses. There is no way out. The problem is that 10.20 is no longer sold by HP!!. Try to contact your local support.

good luck!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

1. The G40 is more than 15 years old...there won't be any manuals online. Perhaps you may find someone selling a manual on eBay. However, you can look up parts on Partsurfer. The product is A2435A.

2. You can have hundreds of users login, but only using the network. The license counts a user login for each serial connection such as the console and a modem. All network connections count as one. So you can login all you want over the LAN card, and either the console or the modem -- no more. 10.20 was no longer sold back the late 1990's and obsolete (unsupported) in 2001. So you are stuck with the two user license.

3. When you use SAM to create a new kernel, the current kernel file becomes /stand/vmunix.prev. So to put back the previous kernel, just copy it over the current one:

cp /stand/vmunix.prev /stand/vmunix

Now run SAM to create another kernel.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info, i manage to revert the system by booting through /stand/vmunix.prev. Just a question with regards to license, because the server is install with 2 user license therefore the third user login is kick out, by I manage to find a unlimited license file on the 10.20 application cd , is that a valid license that can be used. Please advice???

Regards
Vincent
nothing is better than to know more
Marcel Burggraeve
Trusted Contributor

Somewhere in the past HP switched from having to pay for a certain number of users to delivering HP-UX with an unlimited license with no extra costs.
There used to be a downloadable version for 10.20 as well including a webpage with a license which you could print.
It was freely downloadable and as far as I know no costs where involved.
If I remember correctly it was available on the last application CD set as well without a codeword.

The problem will probably be to get hold of the software and that printable license.
Google brings me to the following URL :
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=44449&swItem=wk144en&prodNameId=20166&swEnvOID=6&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=3

However, I cannot test if the download is still there since the proxy/firewall on my side seems to block the link.
Marcel Burggraeve
Trusted Contributor

Some extra info, the release notes only mentions HP9000 workstations.
However, the software description states Unlimited User License for HP-UX 10.20 and 11.0 S700/S800

Some more info on http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/288742-0-0-225-121.html
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

1. I found this a few months ago when I needed help troubleshooting a g50. The docs helped me diagnose and fix a h/w related problem.

http://www.hpmuseum.net/document.php?hwfile=2653
http://www.hpmuseum.net/document.php?hwfile=3246

2. you can get an unlimited user license for 10.20. When 11i came out hp moved everything to the unlimited user license and I thought a depot was available from software.hp.com. It isn't there now, so I'd check the hp-ux media or the web for it.

Hope this helps,
-denver