New Discussion юеВ

Re: replace rp5470 systemboard

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marius Pana_1
Regular Advisor

replace rp5470 systemboard

Hi all,

Is there any technical documentation / procedures for replacing a rp5470 systemboard? The service manuals found at docs.hp.com do not suffice.

Thanks in advance,
Marius
"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." --Linus Torvalds
6 REPLIES 6
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The link below is actually the upgrade manual for RP54xx servers, but it does detail how to remove/replace the system bd, amongst other components.
HTH,
Phil
Phil uk
Honored Contributor
Solution

Marius Pana_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks Phil,

I had previously skimmed through that document but completely missed the whole section pertaining to replacing the SB.

If everything is as the document suggests it should be a straightforward procedure.

Regards,
Marius Pana
"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." --Linus Torvalds
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The system board is not a Customer Replaceable Unit. If you have a support contract, let a HP engineer do this. Otherwise you may breach the conditions of the contract.

After installing a new system board, the engineer must access the service menu in the PDC, and use the commands available in there to set the board's serial number and to tell the board whether it's going to be a rp5430, a rp5470 or maybe a MPE/iX server. Getting to the service menu requires a challenge-response style authentication. Without access to tools available only to HP engineers, you cannot access the locked commands in the service menu.

MK
MK
Marius Pana_1
Regular Advisor

I am not the beneficiary/customer but work for an HP preferred partner company.

I believe we can obtain the challenge-response onsite as we get to that point by contacting HP support. Am I mistaking? Do you have any further information?

Many thanks,
Marius
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Circumstances can vary depending on whether a customer has a support contract, a hardware failure, or requires an upgrade. Some activities are covered within a support contract, some aren't.

In your case,and in my opinion, you can indeed change the hardware yourself and possibly save yourself or your customer money by not having HP do the physical remove/replacement of the Sys Bd (unless this is a hardware failure and you have a support agreement).
You will indeed need to set the necessary variables as mentioned previously by Matti to make the system operable by contacting HP for the necessary "lockwords".

This is guess can vary from country to country as to how this is achieved - either by phone support or by having an onsite visit to set these variables. Ultimately though, this will be a shorter engagement with HP, possibly saving ├В┬г├В┬г's if you dont have a support agreement.