1753331 Members
5154 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replacing a hardrive

Dan Maul
Trusted Contributor

replacing a hardrive

I├в m attempting to change out hardrives in our HP 712/100 workstation. The old hardrive is a 2.1 gig and I├в m trying to install a 6.5 gig. The problem I├в m running into is the system is not detecting the hardrive. I have played with the jumpers in vain. Is there something I├в m missing??? Any
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.
10 REPLIES 10
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Not absolutely sure, but think that the max disk capacity in your workstation is 2GB.
So maybe that is the reason you can't see your new hdd.
If that is true ... sorry.
If that is not true ... very sorry.

Kind regards,
Zigor
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

you might not be installing the correct drive, the 712 will see drives bigger than a 2GB, we use 4GB and 9GB drives internally in the 712 all of time but I have never seen a 6.5GB drives in one. Is your 6.5GB drives a low profile 50 pin (single ended) 7200 RPM SCSI drive, if not it should be. You might also need to update your HP-UX opp system, I know the 4GB & 9GB work on 10.2 and above but not sure on versions below 10.2

Hope this helps
Jesse Dougherty
Cypress Technology, Inc
Re-Sellers of HP 3000/9000 products
jesse@cypress-tech.com
Dan Maul
Trusted Contributor

Yes this is a 50 pin scsi seagate, scsi-3 ultra. The old hardrive is a seagate as well.
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

whats the seagate part number?
Dan Maul
Trusted Contributor

model ST36530N
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

The 712 does not support Seagate SCSI-3 drives (ST36530N Medalist Pro), it looks like they only support the Seagate Ultra SCSI drives. The 4GB HP ordering part number is A3660A and that equates to either ST34571N, ST34572N, or ST34573N. All three are Seagate 50 pin Ultra SCSI that will work the 712 workstations, you can probably pick on up on ebay for around 80 bucks.
Dan Maul
Trusted Contributor

Jesse,

Can you point to where you saw 6.5 gig will not work with the 712/100?
Thanks
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Dan Maul
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your help Jesse