New Discussion юеВ

Re: replacing rp8400's MP battery and testing core I/O card

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

replacing rp8400's MP battery and testing core I/O card

dear all,
there was NVRAM_BATTERY_FAIL message produced by a rp8400's GSP, and the EMS hints told that the MP battery should be replace, but engineer said i should replace the MP card, and should not just replace the MP battery, do i have to replace the MP card or the core I/O card? what problem it would raise if i just replace the MP battery?
there were two core I/O card in this rp8400, if i pull out the upper core I/O card which with NVRAM_BATTERY_FAIL message, and use the lower one as the main GSP, will this a correct way to check whether the lower one has the same battery problem? or will this make the rp8400 unbootable? the HP engineer also said that it was not a correct way to shutdown the rp8400 in such circumstance, was that the right situation?

thanks a lot for your reply!
7 REPLIES 7
Prashanth.D.S
Honored Contributor
Solution

HI Stephen,

I completely agree with the engineers update about replacing the Core card for battery failure as there are no spacific part number available for NVRAM battery.

The MP is embedded with in the core io card so you need to replace the entire core io card.

Swapping the Core IO can be only a temp solution if and if only u r using a single partition on this system. If this is a dual parition system then each partition requires a seperate MP as u must be aware.

Right solution will be to register a hardware case with HP for core io card replacement.

Let me also tell u that these errors may also get triggered due to MP firmware upgrade from 3.05 to 4.09 the layout of
NVRAM changed.

This is why we lose persistent parameters such as the LAN
settings when updating MP firmware to v4.009.

If this is the case then

Recommendation:

After the update of the MP firmware to v4.009, verify the MP error log, if we
only see one NVRAM_BATTERY_FAILED chassis code, it is the case where the
chassis log task was unable to successfully read NVRAM. In this case we should
clear the logs and continue, otherwise this chassis code will be picked up by
event monitoring software and notification of a battery failure will be sent
out!

Else all you have to do is to replace the Core IO card at the earliest.

Best Regards,
Prashanth

Prashanth.D.S
Honored Contributor

Hi Stephen,

i have gone through some more docs Sorry my mistake, we can change the MP Battery (Part NO : 1420-0356).. Not sure if this can be replaced online..

Best Regards,
Prashanth
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Hi Prashanth,
thank you for your reply.
there was only one NVRAM_BATTERY_FAIL chassis log code in the MP log, and just only one event log about that chassis code, does this mean the battery was actually ok? how can i clear that log? i am not that clear whether the firmware of MP had been upgraded.
another problem, in what circustance i could pull out the slave core I/O card? just shutdown the only partition? or power off the whole server?

look forward to your reply
Prashanth.D.S
Honored Contributor

Hi Stephen,

You can clear the chassis code by following the below commands..

MP:CM>SL == >e==> d (dump all the logs and save it in some folder for future ref)
MP:CM>SL == > C (this will clear the chassis logs)

Since this was a single error message reported you can monitor for few more days if there are no error messages you need not replace any spare.

The core I/O is a hot-pluggable component and is easily replaced. However, the Operating System on the nPartition must be shutdown to replace this FRU.

Do NOT power off any part of the system or nPartition.

Best Regards,
Prashanth

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Can you paste in the EMS logs from /etc/opt/resmon/log events logged. As well as anything in GSP error logs, syslog, dmesg, and tombstones? ( For corroboration. )

What shutdown procedure are you using?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Note: Issue BA to list nvram battery status from MP.

http://docs.hp.com/en/A5201-90017/A5201-90017.pdf#search=%22NVRAM%20battery%20rp8400%22
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Here's the product manual for the rp8400. There's some discussion about a third part possibily failing; The altimeter circuit. It really checks the rp's altitude and loads the result into the NVRAM! Cool.

http://docs.hp.com/en/A6434-96014/A6434-96014.pdf#search=%22NVRAM%20battery%20rp8400%22