1752809 Members
6096 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replacing the CPU fans on a D370/2

Peter_230

replacing the CPU fans on a D370/2

Hi,

I have a D370/2 with a dead CPU FAN. We have some systems that I could use as spare parts but I can't see how to get it off! Does anyone know how this is done?

Cheers,
Peter
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

Not positive, but I believe you cannot remove the fan from the CPU. Can you replace the CPU? Do you have an equivalent CPU in your spare parts stock?

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Peter_230

Thanks for your reply. I've got a lots of D220s, a bunch of D320s and a couple of D350s. None of them are duals and the big metal block that the CPUs are in doesn't seem to want to move or let me get the CPU fan off. I guess this system is dead so I'll swap in another. I just hope the OS isn't 64 bit or it won't run on the lesser systems.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

HI (again) Peter,

Well, according to the Upgrade Guide a D320 can be upgraded to a D370/1 or a D370/2. Have a look here at the Upgrade guide, you may be able to make that D320 a D370.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/A3262-90010.pdf

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

you can actually replace the CPU fan on the top of the CPU but you have to take apart a lot of the components on the board to get to the screws that hold the fan, its probably going to more trouble that its worth. I would just swap the board out with another Dx70-2 way board.

Hope this helps
Jesse Dougherty
Cypress Technology, Inc
Re-Sellers of HP 3000/9000 products
jesse@cypress-tech.com
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

As far as i have observed the CPU and its cooling system, the fan can not be removed from the CPU. Need to change the CPU itself.

Another shortcut which i have seen my friend did was put another fan along with the CPU on top of the existing fan and connect power to the fan, so that when the fan on the top moves, the dead fan too moves and keeps the CPU cool.. its all what i have heard off but never seen....

regds
Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!