HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748109 Members
4690 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp2470 lan console

Tracy Jenkins

rp2470 lan console

I had to shutdown my rp2470 to install a PCI card twice in two weeks. Each time the Embedded LAN Console lost its IP address. What's going on?
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: rp2470 lan console

The server has a real-time clock (RTC) which is supposed to keep on ticking even while the server is not powered. That means there should be a coin-cell type battery or a capacitor for feeding a trickle of power to the RTC.

Many RTC chips also have some small amount of battery-backed up memory. If this kind of chip is used in rp2470, it is possible that the IP address of the LAN console is stored in the memory of the RTC chip.

So, if the RTC battery is running low, that might explain the loss of IP address configuration.
MK
Tracy Jenkins

Thank You,
I will check into this further and let you know the result.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

It seems that you have system board battery problem. The configuration of Lan console IP etc is stored on a NVRAM which is powered by the battery.

If you face this problem again, user serial console directly and check the system and chassis log using SL and CL at GSP prompt. There may be a system alert during bootup as well as when any system device problem occures.

Tracy Jenkins

Thank You, When we get a chance for downtime we will try to replace the battery.