New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp3410s' CPU 1 deconfigured, should not be hardware problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

rp3410s' CPU 1 deconfigured, should not be hardware problem

guys,
I've several rp3410s with their CPU 1 deconfigured, I believe that it should not be hardware problem, so how to activate these CPUs? I've never met with such issue, did these servers all came out from factory with their CPU 1 not permitted to be used?

thanks a lot!
7 REPLIES 7
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes they did, and that's a feature.

By entering a special lockword to the firmware's service menu, the second core (CPU 1) can be activated. This action also transforms the rp3410 into a rp3440, so you can then plug in a second dual-core CPU, add more RAM and use all 4 PCI slots.

This allowed an entry-level customer to "pay in installments": buy a single-core server now, and pay for the upgrade to dual-core mode later.

It also allowed HP to provide a single-core system for those situations where the customer only has a single-core license for some legacy software, and therefore the software refuses to run if it sees more than one CPU/core.

(Perhaps the software vendor wants an exorbitant price for the license upgrade, or perhaps the vendor has gone out of business and new licenses simply aren't available.)

MK
MK
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Matti,
thank you for your reply!
could you please present more detail about operation guide,like document?

regards
stephen
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Stephen-
Matti is not entirely correct. The rp3410 has only one socket activated on the system board, and that system board may only recognize one of the two cores in the 800MHz CPU. The first step is purchasing a code word from HP to upgrade the system board to being "dual activated" from the initial "single activation" set up. This can be done at the time of purchase at HP's factory, or as a field upgrade with the purchased code word.
Secondly, the rp3410 can be upgraded to an rp3440, unlocking the second socket (CPU 1), and allowing all 4 cores over the two CPU's to be accessed, as well as allow the 1GHz CPU's to be utilized.

The question is, do you realize both cores of the CPU in your rp3410? If not, you have an upgrade path that will keep your system an rp3410. If you need more than the 2 cores, you will need to purchase the upgrade to rp3440 license.

Here are the SKU's:
A9770A: rp3410 Second CPU core activation license
A9771A: rp3410 to rp3440 upgrade license

Good Luck!
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Thanks Andrew: I didn't remember there were actually two upgrade "tiers", not just one.

Anyway, as Andrew said, the lockword can only be bought from HP, as far as I know.

If I recall correctly, when you activate the upgrade mode in the PDC service menu, the system will display a code and a prompt. The HP service technician must see that code and use it to generate another code that unlocks the appropriate upgrade when typed into the prompt.

MK
MK
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

this document describes the upgrade AFTER you have obtained the upgrade key from HP:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01608350

Best regards

Stefan
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hopefully this has a better format:

From main boot menu go to the service menu, then ...

Service Menu: Enter command > upgrade

System serial number: USS3915004

Enter key from key certificate for this serial number: 3B567636ACDD

Current system: 9000/800/rp3410 1 socket 1 core restricted speed DC- -

Upgraded system: 9000/800/rp3410 1 sockets 2 cores

Do you wish to continue with this change? [y/n]: Y

You must restart the system to complete this change.

(copied from document A7137-96004)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

thank you for all you guys! your replies just met what I wanted to konw!