New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp3440 disk duplexing and embedded u160 LVD SCSI bus

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mr C
Occasional Contributor

rp3440 disk duplexing and embedded u160 LVD SCSI bus

Hello,

I want to connect a HP 5300 tape array to my rp3440 using the embedded LVD SCSI on the box. I have heard that if the internal disks are duplexed to seperate buses it is possible that is may have to use the same buses as the enbedded LVD SCSI meaning I cannot use these for attaching my external tape array. Is anyone able to confirm this is the case for this model as I have heard it is the case for other rp models.

I have used up all 4 PCI-X slots in my server which is why i want to use the embedded SCSI channels to connect my tape array

Help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Chris
4 REPLIES 4
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Chris,

It is not possible to connect external devices to the external SCSI port if you have duplexing enabled.

Josh
What are the chances...
Mr C
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

What are the implications if i dont use deuplexing then? I need these external ports if possible as I have taken up the I/O slots in side. My quote is already going through and any changes could cause me delays i cannot afford

Cheers

Chris
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi,

please read this document (valid for any tape drive):

"The HP 9000 rp3440 does not have a suitable embedded SCSI channel for connecting the HP StorageWorks Ultrium 960 . One of the following HBAs must be used:

A7173A - Dual channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA
AB290A - Dual channel PCI-X SCSI Ultra320 & Gigabit Ethernet combo card "

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/PA-RISC/Detail/16-0024-0098.html#CONTROLLERS

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Without duplexing, a failure on the SCSI channel would cause a system outage. Also, there is the potential for a disk to begin failing and cause a high number of resets to impact performance on the other drive(s) on that SCSI chain.

In my experience, a disk failure is much more likely than a SCSI card failure, so you shouldn't have much too worry about if you choose not to use duplexing.

Josh
What are the chances...