108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp3440

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

rp3440

Has anyone install an A9890A raid controller in this machine.I am trying to install it and run my 2 internal drives on it.I moved the cables from the system board and attached them to the controller but when I boot up the system I cannot see any of my drives to load the os on.Any ideas?

Thanks
Jon

16 REPLIES 16
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jon,

Did you install the software for this product ?

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=A9890A

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Jon,

The rp3440 only supports the internal raid on the PA-8900 systems. Also, you will have to boot from the HP-UX install CD and configure a LUN on the RAID card before you can use it for the OS.

Look here:
http://docs.hp.com/en/A9890-96016/ch01s08.html

Thanks,
Josh
What are the chances...
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

jon,

rather than go through the "install hpux" option as you would expect, you have to select "run a recovery shell" instead.

from here you then have to install the smart array software and configure it before rebooting and installing as normal.

more info in the manuals already posted

Andy
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Another problem,I installed the raid card and hooked up the cables for it.When I boot up the machine it does not see any of my drives.I tried to make the raid card bootable from the link you sent me but it gives me erros on cannot find the files.Do I need to install the raid depot file on my ignite server for this to work?

Thanks
Jon
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Jon,

I'm a little confused, you say you cannot see the drives, but that is expected. You will not be able to see individual drives that are attached to a RAID card, except in the RAID software while you are configuring the virtual drives. Once you have configured a virtual drive, it will show on an ioscan like normal disk.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that you need a fairly recent version of the OS to have the RAID software on it (December 2005, I think)

Josh
What are the chances...

Jon,

Jave you also made sure you're on a supported PDC firmware rev for the card. According to this matrix:

http://docs.hp.com/en/SM_SA3/SA_Support_Matrix.htm

You need to be on 44.24.

That said it does indicate support and boot support.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

I am getting in a newer version of the os today,hopefully that is my problem.Also it keeps saying in the instructions that it will say hp ux ignite when I boot to the media.Is there a special way to boot the cd so it will say that?When I boot to the cd it just gives me a welcome screen to load the os but it does not say ignite.Will this be a problem?

Thanks
Jon
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Jon,

It should not matter, just make sure you choose the 'recovery shell' option.

Josh
What are the chances...
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Help!!
I just got in a newer version of the os,March 2006.I get the same error and it will not let me make the raid card bootable.I boot to the cd I get to the install menu.I select run a recovery shell I get to the # prompt.When I try to run the first command loadfile INSTCMDS/opt/raidsa/bin/ciss_insf I get this error Error could not find filename :ciss_insf in lif volume.

This is urgent can anyone point me in the correct direction.
Jon