108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp4440 System LED

SOLVED
Go to solution
andreyk_2

rp4440 System LED

Hello,
The System LED on my rp4440 server is blinking RED all the time even between the reboots, although the HPUX seems to run fine. The manual doc states that the red light means "Hard Fault, system halted", but it's running on. I've cleared all the Events in MgmtProcessor, but the LED persists to be in RED state. The QuickFind diagnostics LEDs on the top cover are all OFF.
To give more info, the system (HPUX) on this host had previously experienced crash due to one Ethernet card parity check failure (imporperly plugged into the pci slot).
Could anyone give me a hint or explanation where to look for the culprit and rectify the alaram ?
thank you
2 REPLIES 2
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: rp4440 System LED

Hi,

the flashing red system LED should normally be turned on when a severe fault has happened.
To find out what kind of error was the cause for the fault status, you should have looked at the system event log (SEL) with the "sl" command on the MP.
Under some conditions, it may happen that the fault LED stays on, but the original error has already disappeared. Future firmware version should eleminate most of the conditions under which this could happen.
Fact is that clearing of the SEL will not change the status of the system LED, but removes the information why it was lit ...
Anyway, there are two possible ways to reset the status of the system LED to normal behaviour:

1.) reset the BMC (baseboard management controller) of the rp4440 with the MP command "rb" (cm> mode). This can be done online (OS will not shut down).
2.) if this does not work, shut down the system and cycle DC power. (cm> pc).

I hope this helps

Stefan
andreyk_2

Re: rp4440 System LED

I had looked at the SysEvent Log. The time hpux crashed was indicated by AlertLevel==3,IO_PCI_PERR,logged by system firmware. From the i/o slot number it looked like ethernet card.
Anyhow, the board reset did not help, but halting the system and powering on set the led to steady green. thank you.