HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753969 Members
7516 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp4440 cpu's

NATHAN DEXTER

rp4440 cpu's

I'm trying to add another dual core cpu to a rp4440, from a 4 way to 6way. However when I power the system back up the newly installed cpu shows as not initialized. I then try CO PR in the BCH and try to reconfigure the cpu, but the same thing happens. I receive no errors on boot-up test, it sees the cpu there it just won't initialize. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

When you ordered the cpu upgrade kit did you get the activation key aswell, or the codeword request forms.

When you have installed the processor you need to then install a licence key for the processors. This is in the way of a codeword from HP

Andy

Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Nathan

suggest to update PDC firmware to latest one (44.21)

Regards
Mahesh
NATHAN DEXTER

Andrew, isn't that only needed when you upgrade from a rp4410 to a rp4440?
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Nathan,

Couple of questions:

1) Sure of the proper CPU model - i.e. it matches the others?

2) Proper CPU slot? HP doesn't always go 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 if you know what I mean.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Hi, Nathan.

I've done many of these, so here is the voice of experience, gained through pain and suffering .

First of all, you are correct that you only need the activation key or codeword for upgrade from the rp4410 to rp4440. You don't need it.

Your third module will go in slot 2, which will be the bottom left of the processor extender board when viewed from the front.

You may have bent a pin on the cpu, have you pulled it and checked?

You may also have a loose cable, it can come partially loose from the cpu module.

Did you use a 2.5mm allen wrench to lock the CPU socket prior to tightening the sequencer frame shoulder screws? It is accessed down through the side of the fan heatsink. You want to turn it clockwise to tighten it down, and you want it full counterclockwise before you try to insert the cpu.

When you tighten down the sequencer frame shoulder screws, you will want to tighten the four recessed screws first. Tighten it slowly, only go a turn or two on each one and then move to the one diagonally across the cpu. This will keep you from torqueing the cpu to one side. As a rule, I do top-left, bottom-right, top-right and then bottom-left, then start over again. Like I said, go a turn or two, move to the next one and keep going around until they are all snug. Lastly do the two extended screws.

I'm trying to cover all the bases for you here, so please, let me know if this help you out.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
mits
Respected Contributor

I would suggest you will check the CPU FRU first with the MP DF command to see if you installed identical CPU module. BCH in cpu also provides you the CPU information as well.

Secondly, check the MP FPL to see if any unexpected entries were logged for the new CPU module. I am not sure what could cause your problem. But think FPL should say something about your problem.

Lastly, check the model string to see if it actually was configured as RP4440. Here is one example (partial).

Main Menu: Enter command or menu > in all

Model: hp server . (model string 9000/800/rp4440)

PROCESSOR INFORMATION

HVERSION SVERSION Processor
Processor Speed Model Model/Op CVERSION State
--------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------------
0 1000 MHz 0x0884 0x0491 3.1 Active
1 1000 MHz 0x0884 0x0491 3.1 Idle
2 1000 MHz 0x0884 0x0491 3.1 Idle
3 1000 MHz 0x0884 0x0491 3.1 Idle
NATHAN DEXTER

Thanks all for your responses. As of right now I can't tell you what was the problem, I will have to do this over the weekend.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Nathan,
Please be sure to let us know what you find. It helps us in the future!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.