cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rp5400 server

Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

rp5400 server

Is it possible to make the VGA monitor as system console on rp5400 server?

10 REPLIES 10
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Re: rp5400 server

Yes it can be doen but you need Graphics card in your system and HP Certified VGA monitor.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
Leon Allen
Regular Advisor

I'm not sure of what you want, but maybe this will help you. I get access to my system consol from my VGA monitor (ie my PC) like this.....

(you need a dumb terminal to start)

Then, Configure the GSP Consol

GSP Consol Commands

Get write access - Ctrl E cf

(Do Esc first to get it to work?????)

Ctrl b - to leave consol mode and get GSP

GSP> lc

LC

This command allows you to modify the LAN configuration.
Current configuration:

MAC Address : 0x00806e0c7dfc
IP Address : nnn.nnn.1.18
GSP Host Name: gsp4
Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
Gateway : nnn.nnn.3.1

Do you want to modify the LAN configuration? (Y/[N])

GSP Host Name: gsp4
GSP>

AND THEN telnet to your new ip address from a terminal emulation program (term or net tern or powerterm, one of those)

Advantage: I can see the consol remotely from anywhere.

Time's fun when your having flys (ancient frog saying)
dave daniels_2
Valued Contributor

yes, you will need to install the A6150A graphic/usb board set. This is the only graphics card that will work. You will need to reconfigure your console path as well as your Xserver. If you need additional help let me know.

-Dave
daved@elite-group.us
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The graphics interface card for the rp54xx and L-class, doesn't become active until the system is booted and CDE/X-11 starts, so you can't interact at all with the boot process. Still, many customers find it useful to have a graphics monitor available. The graphics card has a default resolution of 1280x1024, so you need a monitor to support that resolution. Due to a limitation of setmon for the L-class/rp54xx servers, you can't permanently set the resolution to 1024x768. However, there are a couple of files that can be added so as the system boots, it will set the resolution to 1024x768 (75Hz). You would need that resolution for a flat panel/keyboard like the J1470A. You would also need an A7782A to take PS/2 keyboard/mouse to USB. Also, note that the Graphics/USB cards take two I/O slots. Let me know if you need to take it to 1024x768 so I can get you the proper set up information. The 1024x768 resolution and use with the J1470A and A7782A is an unsupported configuration, but it can be made to work.
Mom 6
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your valuable response. Actually I have HP p920 monitor with PCI graphics card . I want to make this monitor as console so that i can see all bootup messages and access to GSP as well.
Although Lan console is available, but want to make this monitor only as console considering the security ...
Is it possible? If yes, pls let me know the procedure.

Thanks in advance
sameer
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but I don't know how to make the PCI graphics card show anything until the system is booted and running X-11/CDE and my belief is the firmware can't do it, but if anyone else knows differently, I too, would like to know how.
Mom 6
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The firmware in the processor and the GSP are designed to send messages to a serial device, that is, a real terminal or terminal emulator. The newer GSP's add a web interface but that's all. A graphics monitor is very stupid...it has no clue how to display text, and neither does the video card. You need a special video adapter that has a terminal emulator (character generator, memory, etc). With the eBay price of a serial terminal such as the HP 700/92, HP 700/60 or HP 2392A about $10 to $40, I would not waste $$ on an expensive video card for the rp5400.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Eric Firkey
Regular Advisor

Dave you posted
"You will need to reconfigure your console path as well as your Xserver. If you need additional help let me know."
How do you reconfigure the Xserver?
I am trying to install the A6150A on an A500. thanks.

dave daniels_2
Valued Contributor

Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

No, you can not !

I have seen multiple entries telling you that you can, but trust me, you can not. I tried, logged a call with HP support for it, but it is not possible on an rp54xx system.

The problem is that the console HAS to go through the GSP. Another configuration is not valid. From the GSP on, there is no way to reroute the output back to the system to a graphics card.

As soon as CDE is starting, you can get a graphic login screen and locally work on the server, but as soon as CDE is stopped (run levels 0 to 2, the graphics display is absolutely dead. You may be able to use it as a chracter terminal however when CDE is not running, but not as the console and see boot messages.