6758 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp5430 with failed processor

Ivan-Ho
Frequent Advisor

rp5430 with failed processor

Hi everybody,

I have just setup a new HPUX rp5430 system. This server have been running for 2 month. Yesterday, I must reinstalled OS, but when booted from CDROM, I could not install (CDROM enclosed with server)and I received message from GSP:

"Source: Processor
Source ID: Processor General"

When I check from Information Main Command with pr commnad, I have message:
"Processor 0: Stopped, not responding
Processor 2: Active"
(I have dual Processor, one #0 and one #2).

I want to know if the Processor #0 have been failed
and
whether I can replace position of Processor #2 with failed Processor #0 or not ?.

I am looking forward to any help.
With many thanks to any help.
Best regards,
hung_phanduc
5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Looks like you have a hardwar efailure, time to log a call with your local HP Response Centre
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Ivan-Ho
Frequent Advisor

I think also have a failure hardware on Processor #0. But I want to know whether can I use only remain Processor(#2) instead or not ?

Thanks for any help!
hung_phanduc
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi, the system should still beable to boot with single processor. you will have to read error logs in GSP before you can go any further though.
If for some reason it wont you should beable to just swap them around in the box so it boots on the processor 0. I would swap the dc-dc convertors aswell that go with the processor to make sure you eliminate that as a possible problem aswell.
Make sure the pins and slots are very clean upon removal and replacement. These are very picky machines and the tiniest bit of dirt/debris can stop them working.
This will confirm you have a hardware processor module faulty and can then organise a replacement.

andy
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you can run your computer with only one processor configured (of cause with only half of the normal performance). Do not attempt to move, swap or remove the failed processor yourself, you maybe damage the system card which is much more expensive than a processor. Call the next HP response center to analyze the problem. In the meantime you can run your computer with the other CPU only, unless this CPU also crashes.

Best regards

Stefan
Ivan-Ho
Frequent Advisor

I tried to replace Processor#2 with Processor#0. But the system wont boot normally. I attached file contain captured informations related the system.

Pls help me find the way to correct error.

Thank a lot!
hung_phanduc