1752777 Members
6133 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp7400 will not boot w/ ignite image from n4000 rev b w/550MHz procs

Tim Eidell
Occasional Advisor

rp7400 will not boot w/ ignite image from n4000 rev b w/550MHz procs

We are upgrading from a Rev B N4000 to a Rev C. We have a whole rp7400 system that we have 8x750MHz cpus and 4GB of ram at the moment. We currently are on a Rev B running 11.0. When I run the ignite tape on the rp7400 (rev C) it loads without issue. However, when I go to boot it, it fails with unknown errors, software errors and processor errors.

If I put a 550MHz processor in the rp7400 (which came for the Rev B), it boots without issue. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what it is, that is stopping it from booting. The only thing I can possibly belive is, it is something to do with the Kernel.

So my question is....

What is different about the 550MHz and 750MHz, (besides the obvious, ie. class of proc) kernel related, that would stop it from booting with the 750MHz cpus installed? Could it be a kernel tunable that could be causing the issue? We do have several tunables set at this time.

Just a note. I can install all of the 750MHz procs in the rp7400, install 11.0 from cdrom or the network and it will boot without issue.
3 REPLIES 3
DCE
Honored Contributor

When you restored the ignite image, did you set clone to different hardware=true? (it is under the additional button on the basic screen)
Tim Eidell
Occasional Advisor

You know, at this point I am not sure. Thank you for reminding me of that. I probably forgot.
Tim Eidell
Occasional Advisor

Just as a test I did and advanced ignite and made sure that the Clone to differnt hardware was true. It still made no difference.

I can find nothing that says, that I should have to do anything OS related for this upgrade. It still all brings me back to something in the kernel, but I cannot confirm this.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular issue? Most of all, does anyone have any other ideas that could possibly get me pointed in the right direction?