1753814 Members
7868 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp7410/8400 firmware upgrades

Steve Boniwell
Frequent Advisor

rp7410/8400 firmware upgrades

I need to update firmware on an rp8400 - the documentation for the latest version references a "scree board - PN 1253-5394" - This appears to be the only reference on the HP web sites apart from the vpars config guide. Please can anyone tell me where I can find more information on this component and the related procedure.
One man's magic..............
8 REPLIES 8
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Re: rp7410/8400 firmware upgrades

Is this not useful ?

http://us-support2.external.hp.com/estaff/bin/doc.pl/screen=estaffDocs/distrib_redir=1+1129807956|*?File=patches_main%2Fsnf3_firmwareFAQ.htm&Log=SCR%3DHOME_SCREEN

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/search.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|&pageContextName=firmware:

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Steve Boniwell
Frequent Advisor

I already know the firmware patch id and have downloaded it - I need more information on the scree board.
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

I didn't see a reference to "scree board" in the f/w notes, but did find it in a "vPars Ordering and Configurations Guidelines" doc. Is that where you found it too?

Are you installing vPars and that's what brought you to the f/w update... wondering what a scree board has to do w/ it?

Sorry, but I have no idea what a scree board on the rp7410 is either. when in doubt and dealing w/ firmware, I'd go through hp support.

-denver
Steve Boniwell
Frequent Advisor

Yep - I found that reference in the vpars config manual - does this mean that the scree board is only relevant where vpars are in use ? Anyone??
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Steve,

the part may be relevant for the firmware upgrade process.

Since the process is complex enough, I would suggest to give HP a call and let a ce do the upgrade.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In the latest firmware the support for new PA8700 processors has been added
The scree board is required if you upgrade the CPU to new PA8700 processors .
This CPU upgradation requires the presence or installation of scree board which gets attached to the system board. Of course the system board have to have scree board connector to be able to connect this board as well. The scree board enables the firmware upgrades for these new processors.

As far as the Vpar implementation is concerned and as document says , it requires latest firmware and need the version compatibility.

I would advise to contact HP for the right and legible source of information.

timmy b.
Honored Contributor

The scree board is a small circuit board that gets mounted on connector J-22 of the System Backplane board to allow the Cell board FPGA's to be updated when using the OSP Utility. Without it the Bob, Drain and PCI HS FPGA's will not be updated.

As Torsten said, the firmware upgrade in an rp8400 is complicated. It can take several hours to complete if done properly. If done improperly, you can "brain-dead" some components in your server. I don't know about you, but the cost of having a production box down for any length of time much more that offsets the cost of paying an HP CE to come out to do the upgrade. Unless this is a dev box and you don't care about extended down time.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Here is a picture of an rp8400 System Backplane with the scree board installed.

I hope this helps you out!

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.