New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp7410 boot failed, and HPMC occured

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

rp7410 boot failed, and HPMC occured

dear all,
i've got a problem about an rp7410's booting,there was two CELL in this rp7410, and when it booted, after self test of CPU and memory, just at the beginning of I/O discovery, CELL 0 failed wich HPMC occured, and the server still could boot up with CELL 1, and when the os is ready, half of the adaptor disappeared, all the parts with the hardware path starting with "0/" could not seen in os. i interchanged the location of CELL 0 and CELL 1, still CELL 0 (CELL at slot 0 )has HPMC. what could be the problem?
attached file is MP's SL output
thanks a lot!
20 REPLIES 20
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

attached file is the newest SL output
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Stephen,

You mentioned earlier that you could get to BCH. Can you still do this now that you swapped the cells over??....if not, swap them back to the original locations.

If you can get to BCH, then do:
sr off >>Scroll [ON|OFF]

BCH> SER

now capture the following outputs

SER> PIM

SER el

...and post the results here pls.

Phil,
ps, looks good from the MP>PS outputs, apart from the MP low battery warning.
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

hi,
all the time i could boot the system, though i could not make use of CELL 0. beside, the MP's battery is LOW and status is FAULT DETECTED.
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Hi Stephen,

Can you do,

If you can get to BCH, then do:
sr off >>Scroll [ON|OFF]

BCH> SER

now capture the following outputs

SER> PIM

SER el

...and post the results here pls.

It may help to pin-point the problem.
Phil
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

hi Phil,
i can not quite following you instruction, how to produce a SEA> prompt? how to run SEA> PIM command?
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Hi Steven,

I'm refering to the SERVICE Menu from BCH
which is SER not SEA
Phil
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

hi Phil,
see attached file for service output
thans a lot
Phil uk
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for doing that.
I have looked at the information, and it is currently inconclusive....but we may be able to overcome this.

To explain, the PIM information has no valid timestamps, but the EL information does have valid timestamps - so the information from the two sets of logs doesn't match.

Therefore, we need to get this information again but "in sync".

So, if you can put the machines back to its original config (which I think you have done), then let the machine try to boot HPUX again.

Hopefully when booting unix it will HPMC and generate a new set of PIM and EL information.

At this point - dont move any of the cells and re-post the PIM / EL information as you did earlier today.
(remember to do BCH>sr off before capturing the PIM & EL data)

Hopefully this will generate PIM and EL information with valid & synchronised timestamps.

Then i'll have a look at the new info.
I hope this makes sense

Regards,
Phil
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

hi Phil,
i appreciate for your consideration. i will post the output tomorrow.
now we are considering to replace the backplane or the pci midplane of that rp7410, hopefully it would fix the problem. now we could make a conclusion that all the cells were ok, after interchange there slots, when they all could boot up the os. do you think it is a correct way? we had remove the io adaptors in io chassis 0, which cell 0 connected to, and when it booted, it still HPMC, so we though that it may be problem of the pci midplane or backplane. one thing confused me was that, there was only one pci mid plane, would it function in two part?

anyway, thank you for your reply!