108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp7410 " not system memory"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tommy_8
Frequent Advisor

rp7410 " not system memory"

I had 2gb of memory added to my rp7410, when it was stopped in PDC it could see the orginal + the new memory, I then booted the server and it ran in multiuser for approx 2-3 mins. It then froze and crashed, the chassis code logs reported that the new memory was "not system memory". The part numbers on the boards are the same as the one's installed.

Regards Tommy
10 REPLIES 10
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi,
has the memory been added to the correct card and is it in the correct slots?
Some machines have to be upgraded in pairs i.e. memeory sticks in paired slots have to be equal size.
Can you bring up the system into single user mode? Does the memory test prior to boot report any errors?
Regards
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

YOu did install 4 DIMMs right? RAM on the rp7410 must be installed in sets of 4, NOT 2 like other HP-UX machines.
Tommy_8
Frequent Advisor

The memory was correctly configured, I checked it with PDC and the engineer who installed it was from HP. I have recently found out that the memory is partitioned with vpar, I have 2 cells with 4gb ineach the partition is cell 0 use's 2gb and cell 1 use's 6gb, I was adding an extra 2gb to each cell do you think this could have caused the error, I've not used vpar myself.

Regards Tommy
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Tommy,
you started by saying you had 2Gb added.
Can you please confirm:
1.The machine started with two cells of 4Gb each i.e. 8Gb total?
2. 2Gb were then added to each cell i.e. 12Gb total?
3. This setup was split by vpar into two sections each of 6Gb each?
Regards
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor
Solution

Tommy,
sorry, forgot to add.
Have you had a look at:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=65305 ?
Bill Colley
Frequent Advisor

Tommy,

On an RP7410, the message "not system memory" is just an informational message and would not have caused the system to crash.
There have been instances of HP memory not being labeled internally with the proper sequence and giving the "not system memory" message when the system boots.
At system boot time is the only time you will see this message.
You need to start looking for some other reason for the system to crash.
That is not to mean that your memory or it's configuration with vpars is not your problem.

Bill
Hi, there
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Tommy,
is this still a problem? If yes could you please update. If no longer a problem, could you please assign points and close thread, indicating solution.
Thanks
Tommy_8
Frequent Advisor

Sorry for not replying everyone I've been ill. I've reset the config with vpar to enable the additional memory and will be adding it tonight, I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards Tommy
Tommy_8
Frequent Advisor

Thanks everyone for the replies, the memory seems to be faulty.