HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753404 Members
7025 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp7420 DVD-rom Drive with HPUX DVD not detected during bootup and ioscan shows no DVD drive

javasoup
Occasional Advisor

rp7420 DVD-rom Drive with HPUX DVD not detected during bootup and ioscan shows no DVD drive

Customer with a new rp7420 server with 2 cell boards (2 partitions) but the internal dvd drom drive cannot detect the HPUX DVD during bootup and i ask him to do a IOSCAN but no dvd drive found...any idea wats wrong with it?
I suspect the following:

1)Faulty DVD Drive
2)Unconfigured DVD Drive
3)Faulty Internal SCSI Cable

5 REPLIES 5
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Re: rp7420 DVD-rom Drive with HPUX DVD not detected during bootup and ioscan shows no DVD drive

Hi,

If the Drive is not getting detected at the PDC level itself then the problem could be

either the Drive itself / the connections.

Please confirm with

SEARCH command at PDC MAIN MENU

With Regards,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !

You do say 2 paritions... only one of the partitions will see the DVD drive. IIRC the DVD drive in a rp7420 is connected to the MP/SCSI card in slot 1 rather than slot 0. Are you sure your ciustomer is accessing the right partition?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
javasoup
Occasional Advisor

Ok i will have to ask him to check for the drive at PDC level.

Btw, how do we know which partition is the master or slave now?

I used to think the DVD drive will be seen on both partitions.

Regards,
Edmund
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The DVD will be seen by only one partition. Each partition is a separate computer so if the DVD were shared, total chaos would result as the two computers tried to talk to the same I/O card.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Mark Nieuwboer
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

only partition npar0 will see the DVD.
If you boot npar1 it will not see the dvd drive.
if you need a dvd on that npar you have to connect an external dvd on the npar.

grtz. Mark