1753946 Members
7444 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp7420 memory config

Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

rp7420 memory config

Figured I toss this out here to see if anyone is running or has run with this config.

rp7420 with one cell 2x 256MB DIMMs in Quad 0, bank 0a and 0b. Grand total of 512MB memory. According to the "Valid Memory Configurations" on http://docs.hp.com/en/A7025-96018/ch01s02.html it's good to go.

Anyone run with this?

Thanks!
-denver
4 REPLIES 4
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

actually, my question doesn't really have much to do with 2x 256MB DIMMS... can I run an rp7420 2 cell npar with one rank dimms in each cell. Cell 0 with mem in 0a and 0b, and Cell 1 with mem in 0a 0b.

-denver
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

I havent run one with that particular config, but I see no reason why it shouldnt work. It meets the minimum spec of 512mb per cell and paired.

Its not much memory for apps nowadays though?

Andy

Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

I've actually got 8GB (4x 2GB), but it's all in one cell (my other cell is sitting unused in a cabinet). I'm hoping to put cell 0 back in the box so we can add more cpu/mem if needed later.

Rather than running my 1 cell w/ 8GB and 4 dual cores, I'd split it out over two cells. cell0 = 2GB in 0a and 0b, cell1 = 2GB in 0a and 0b.

We bought this box w/ 2 cells, 4 dual core cpu and 8GB mem. When it was installed someone had probs getting both cells to work. Long story short... box was setup w/ only one cell. For future growth I'd like to run it with both cells.

Like I said, the manual leads me to believe it's supported... I'm really looking for someone who may be running like this already.

-denver
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you are looking for 2 cells with 4 cpu and 4 GB of memory each then it is good to go. I'm doing it before, well with a bigger memory actually, 8 GB each. But I don't see any difference for 4 GB each, as long you follow the dimm order.

Regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.