1748270 Members
3798 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp7420

Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

rp7420

I have an rp7420 when I try to boot it to the network it trys to boot up ,it gets to the boot winstall part.It hangs there for awhile then the pci light goes off and it reboots.It does not give me an error.I have tried different core I/O's but they all do the same thing.Any thoughts?

thanks
Jon
6 REPLIES 6
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Need to know followings.

What's the system firmwares versions MP PDC?
what's kind of Core IO Lan card GigE ?
Which OS Image you are using for igniting the server using lan boot 11.11 or 11.23?

More debugging could be done as per the doc at
http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-0690/5991-0690.pdf
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

I have a A6094A cell board.I am booting to an ignite server that has 11.i on it.I can boot with another machine without any problems.I am using a A6793A core I/O.All of the firmware is up to date.

Thanks
Jon
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon,

You can *only* use the core I/O NIC for local Ignite lan installs.
Are you using that NIC I/F?

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Yes I am using the core lan connector on the scsi card not the mp card.It starts to boot to my network it gets to the allocating part then it hangs there for awhile.Then the lights go off of the lan card and the machine reboots itself.

thanks
Jon
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

As you said, the system reboots at winstall stage, I would expect problem loading ( by bootloader )either installation filesystem or loading the ignite kernel/kernel initialisation.

More insight of the problem could be known if network boot debugging is done. As mentioned in the document link given and assuming you are using IG-UX C.6.0.x and above, get the debug result using

ISL > hpux -i3 (;0)/boot/Rel_B.xx.yy/INSTALL
ISL > hpux -D0xfffff -B0xfffff (;0)/boot/Rel_B./INSTALL

Secondly, the parts you mentioned are basically used in rp7410.
What's going on here? any upgrade or h/w changes recently done?
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Thanks for you time and help.The problem was with the pci backplane.I replaced it and everything works fine now

Jon