New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp7420

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

rp7420

Hi,

I have installed some A9890A in rp3440 and with help from here I have got them to work.I now have another project ,I need to see if I can get an A9890A to work in an rp7420.Can someone point me to where I can find out what the cable scheme is on how to hook it up.Also do I setup the raid card in the rp7420 the same way I made it bootable in the rp3440.The way the raid card is now it is in the slot 7 next to the core I/O card and I used that scsi cable to hook up to the raid card.I can only see one drive when I set up the raid card it will not let me do mirroring.So I am sure I probally need a different scsi cable to make this work as well as connect it a different way.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Jon
10 REPLIES 10
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi,

for the rp7420 the internal disks are not supported for this smart array controller, see

http://docs.hp.com/en/SM_SA3/SA_Support_Matrix.htm

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Do you know what raid card is supported.Also I saw a web site that had cable diagrams on how to hook up raid cables in several machines but I cannot find it.Do you know where this might be?

Thanks
Jon
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

According to the matrix I sent you there is no raid card supported for the internal drives of the rp7420.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

What about the A9891A ,it looks like it will work?

Jon
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Why?

The column "internal disks supported" says "No".
(scroll to the right!)

This means you can install the card into your server, you have to connect EXTERNAL disks to it and you can even boot from this card - but you cannot connect the internal disks.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Jon,

The internal disks are not supported with a RAID card because only one of the disks are attached to an internal card.

If you want boot RAID, then you can go with a DS2120 or similar and the A9890A or similar, and have external RAID boot disks.

Or, you can purchase the MirrorDisk/UX product and have software RAID 1 on the internal drives. The overhead for mirroring is negligible now, due to the high performance of these servers.

Josh
What are the chances...
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Ok ,I am confused.Look at this site and go down to the A9891A on the right and the rp7420 is listed on the left and it does not say external only.Above that it shows the A9890A and the rp7420 as external only.This is why I am confused,where it shows A9891A and when you look at thr rp7420 beside it ,it does not say anything,This is why I thought this would work.Let me know again what you think.
I appreciate your time in helping me with this.

Jon
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Jon,

I guess this is probably a typo, considering that there is no physical way to connect this, and the document that Torsten found is saying the opposite.

Josh
What are the chances...