HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753905 Members
10508 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp8400 :Cells unattacheble from io chasis ?

Q4you
Regular Advisor

rp8400 :Cells unattacheble from io chasis ?

We recently ordered a new rp8400 system with IO expansion. It has 4 cells and 2 io bays. Is possible to reconfigure io chasis in each bay and re-associated with different cells ?

Is it true that it can't be reconfigured as they are electrically inseparable ?

If so,
where is the flexibility of "partitoins/cell/io" for rp84xx ?

Anybody ran into this ?
-Q4U
4 REPLIES 4
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Re: rp8400 :Cells unattacheble from io chasis ?

You can have up to 4 cell partitions.

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-4534/5187-4534_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-4534/00/00/24-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-4534/00/00/24-toc.html&searchterms=RP8400&queryid=20031212-121054

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

You can configure the rp8400 as 4 separate nPartitions, or as one. also, there is software partitioning available (vPartitions) which allows you to choose specific I/O slots and CPUs to assign to each vPar. vPars are a subset of nPars, however.
What are the chances...
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

You can configure a single npartiiton using some or all cells . or can configure upto four separate npartiitons within the server complex when using I/O expansion cabinet
In a multiple npartition server complex you would use cell 0 and its core i/o in onw naprtition and use cell 1 and its core i/o in another npartition / the other cells 2 and can be assigned to either of the two npartitions or if connected to an i/o expansion cabinet , can be used to create additional npartitions .
Michael Craig
Advisor

As far as I know, each IO bay is assigned to a cell board if it is partitioned. This would mean that you would not be able to make for example IO Chassis 0 be assigned to partition 3.

Hope this helps!