108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp8400 slave core IO shows 0.000

Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

rp8400 slave core IO shows 0.000

Hi,
I have Rp8400 with 2 n-pars running.
Though the slave core IO is present in the system the sysrev shows 0.000 for slave core IO.
I couldn't upgrade the firmware since the upgrade of slave MP is failing with timeout. (first step in the FW update procedure).
Since the second partition is up and running I am sure that the core IO card is working.
I also tested the suspected core IO (slave) in another system and found to be OK!!

I have attached sysrev and ps outputs.

I suspect the backplane.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Thayanidhi

Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: rp8400 slave core IO shows 0.000

You firmware looks really strange.

Some firmware is revision 4.0, some 6.4 and some between.

You should consider to schedule a downtime for the box, upgrade OSP and all other components to a consistent state.

In case of doubt contact HP service.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi Torsten,

I agree with you. this box was upgraded recently. Before upgrade it should have been updated with latest FW. But now at this stage it refusing to upgrade MPs.
I think I will upgrade the slave MP in some other box and then upgrade this OSP and try.

Regds
TT

Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

First you should make sure there is the "scree" board installed, this is really important - see http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=967224 - last post attachement.

Your system was not really updated, because some components are release 4.0 (from 2002) and some are 6.4 (btw, 6.5 is current). The OSP for example was missed, making errors like this can easily harm the box.

You should try to insert the MP in the system while power is on and observe what will happen.

definitely you should bring all components at least to rev. 6.4. My recommendation is upgrade to release 5.0 first prior to the 6.x.

Read the instruction very, very carefully!

And again, *before* damage your system, contact HP support.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

The possible cause of showing the Slave Core IO version as 0.0000 would be in-compatible firmware version of system backplane. I think the system backplane firmware should be versions in series of 1002 instead of 1001 which makes current OSP version as a mis-match. The OSP version was made to 1.002 since 6.0

Did you check out slave MP interface sysrev? You might able to see the slave core IO version. You can try to upgrade MP firmware from slave MP.

From the sysrev , it looks like the complete system was fully updated with FW ver 4.0 set earlier. Thereafter only Master core IO ( & maybe slaver core IO as well) and cell 1 & 3 are updated or installed with 6.4 partially ( which didn't update system backplane fws ?). I guess SCREE board is installed in your server.

I think you would be able to upgrade from 4.0 to current 6.5 f/w set. But it is better to consult with HP and go through the instructions carefully given in the release notes pdf document which comes alongwith the distribution.
Marc Morin_2
Advisor

Hello,

There is no problem with the slave MP!

The problem you are seeing here is a firmware mismatch between the MPs. The master MP is at version 4.11 and the slave MP is most likely at version 6.4. In order for you to be able to read the firmware version on the slave MP you will have to upgrade the master MP and the rest of your complex to version 6.4.

There is an MP FW pre-requisite to update to Version 5.0 prior to updating to Version 6.4

Please contact your local HP support office to perform this upgrade.

MJM
Josiah Henline
Valued Contributor

When the HP guys was out updating firmware on our rp8400, he stated that the Core I/O would have to be replaced if it showed zeros for the revision. You may need to place support call with HP.

Josiah
If at first you don't succeed, read the man page.