1752596 Members
5061 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: saving console log to a file on rp7410

Gordon  Morrison_1
Regular Advisor

saving console log to a file on rp7410

A few days ago, I had trouble rebooting a hard partition on a rp7410. The problem was that the NVRAM had become corrupted, so it couldn't find its boot paths. An engineer talked me through re-initialising NVRAM and resetting the boot path via the GSP menus. I would like to save the console log so I have a record of how it was fixed so I can do it again if necessary, but we only have dumb consoles. Is there a way of copying the console log to a file?
What does this button do?
14 REPLIES 14
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi Gordon,
I dont know if it will work during a GSP session, I have no way to test at the moment but for logging your terminal session activities ( your command + what is displayed...) there is the command script
do a man script and see if this will help you

All the best

Victor
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

During GSP session, you can not user script etc. What do you use for logging onto GSP?? telnet?? User putty. putty has option to start session logging.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Gordon  Morrison_1
Regular Advisor

Unfortunately, we have no remote consoles here (yet). I was sat next to the machine with a dumb terminal. Also, the machine was down (I was trying to get it to boot) so I couldn't use script. I can go to the console and view the console logs stored in the GSP, but as it's a dumb HP terminal, I can't even cut & paste. I want to know a way of copying the logs stored in the GSP to a file on disk.
Any ideas?
What does this button do?
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,
Depending upon which hp terminal it is you could connect a serial or parallel printer the the other port and turn on logging. this will print it all out.
Or connect to the serial port with a pc/laptop and capture the output with hyperterminal or another program.

Andy
AIMC
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

If you have access to the MP, ie the GSP on a 7410, login & in the MP>sl menu there is a console log, MP:SL>cl & you should be able to dump this to an emulator logging facility.

Aidan
AIMC
Frequent Advisor

Appologies,

I meant to say that you can configure an IP address for the MP under the MP:CM>lc, this should enable you to telnet to the MP, check the MP:CM>so (security options) to ensure telnet is enabled, from here then you can capture the console logs.

Aidan
TheJuiceman
Super Advisor

Maybe I am not seeing the big picture here or understanding the problem, but you are just wanting to look back at what was executed to correct the problem, right? If it is a matter of just wanting to see what was input you could see this in the .sh_history file of the login that was used (I am guessing root).

Hope this helps.
TheJuiceman
Super Advisor

Oops...nevermind. I completely misread your post. Sorry
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

I keep wanting to get console switches, perhaps from Lightwave -- it seems to me they might do the trick (but not cheaply).

(Bob: no worries - it happens :-)

Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?