Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial numbers

Marius Pana_1
Regular Advisor

serial numbers

Hi all,

I need to get the serial numbers from some rp5470 and rp7420 machines. On newer models there is the DF command which does just that but on the above mentioned machines the command does not exist. Is there an equivalent command that can print out serial numbers or an upgrade to the MP? Below are the MP versions we currently have:

RP5470 - Hardware Revision N0 Firmware Revision B.02.17 Nov 10 2002,00:53:24

RP7420 - Version A.6.012

Thanks,
Marius
"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." --Linus Torvalds
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: serial numbers

Marius,
have you tried:
echo "sel path system\ninfolog\nexit"|cstm|grep "System Serial Number"
Marius Pana_1
Regular Advisor

I have not tried it since I did not know about it. Does it give me just the system serial number or all serial numbers of products/peripherals installed in the system?

Thank you and I will give the command a shot later on.

Marius
"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." --Linus Torvalds
siva0123
Trusted Contributor

Hi ,

You can even try to get serial no from print_manifest | grep -i serial

also in some machines getconf can also be used to get serial number

Thanks,
Siva
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

/usr/bin/getsn

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Marius Pana_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Siva,

print_manifest only provided a single serial number, the one for the complex which is not enough for what we need.

We are doing an inventory/audit of some equipment and we need an easy way to get all these SN's without disassembling it and looking at every component.

Thanks,
Marius
Nagashankarp
Frequent Advisor

have you tried getconf MACHINE_SERIAL or getconf CS_MACHINE_SERIAL
Marius Pana_1
Regular Advisor

Maybe I didnt provide enough information. I want ALL the possible serial numbers for all the hardware installed in that server. Not just the machine SN. I need things such as Raid controller, VGA card, etc.

Basically if it has a SN I need to know it. I assume /usr/bin/getsn might be what we are looking for but I cannot find any documentation and I am not next to the server atm.

I have the macine SN by the way. I am interested in all the SN's for the other components in the system...

Thanks
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

you can run

echo "sel dev all;info;wait;il"|cstm

and grep for "serial number", "S/N" and "serial #" and you will get a really huge list of numbers - have fun!
What should be the use of this?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Marius Pana_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks, I will have to try all of the above commands once I get back to the office on Monday.

The use is for inventory. A company I work for asked for all PN's and SN's in order to have an inventory of what the client has. I assume that in case something breaks they will be able to find and replace it quickly by having all the SN's and PN's .. it is only an assumption.

Thanks again. I will get back to you once I try the above commands.
Marius