HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1754014 Members
7677 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

small power AC Adapter question

Not applicable

small power AC Adapter question

I've a evo n610c notebook which takes a minimum of 65 watts AC Adapter to start the notebook up, but I'm using a 60 watts AC Adapter to start my notebook up. The question is, should I be using a 60 watts AC Adapter in a 65 watts notebook? what the worst could happen? oh yeah, it was working great the first few months, now when I try using the 60 watts AC Adapter, the notebook automated cuts off after 30 seconds. Is that a thermal overload in the 60 watts AC Adapter? oh yeah, it runs great with the batteries that I've in the notebook, but that's not going to last for to long. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: small power AC Adapter question

You are not one of those people who let little pesky things like specifications bother you. Get yourself a properly rated power adapter and your problems will disappear. There is no problem running a higher power rated adapter as long as the output voltage is the same.

Unless you like to see pretty colors and smoke when you connect equipment, it's also a good idea to pay attention to output polarity if your equipment requires an AC/DC adapter.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.