HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753925 Members
9081 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

some questions about a rp5470

some questions about a rp5470

Hey Guys,

We want to use a remarketing HP Rp5470 as a CAD workgroup server. As I have only a little experience with HP workstations, I need some help to get them working.

1.)As the server is set up in the office, the noise of the ventilators is very loud and is disturbing the colleagues. Is it possible to configure the ventilators to run only when needed?
2.)We are using a HP graphic device and a monitor to manage the server. When booting we only see the CDE login, but no messages like on workstations.
3.)Is it possible to shutdown and switch off the server by using the power switch?

Best regards

Ruediger
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: some questions about a rp5470

Since the rp5470 is considered as a server, it's not recommended to use it in the office.

1.) the fans are running permanently because of the cooling requirements at low or high speed. This is of course noisy.

2.) What does it mean "...but no messages like on workstations"?

3.) No! You have to logon as root, shutdown the server and switch it off. This can be done over the network by connecting to the management processor (GSP).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Ruediger,

I would recommend that you locate the server in as best a server-type room you can - i.e. more than adequate cooling with a UPS backed up power supply.
Then run HP workstations or PCs with a good X-server program like Hummingbird or Chameleon and run X-window session.
As stated that server is definitely not designed to be run in an office setting.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

Hi Ruediger.
1, You can not change it
2,You only see CDE login.
3,In oder to shutdown server: pls take:
- shutdown OS by #shutdown -hy 0
- wait and then press Power button or you can shutdown power via GSP.
Recommend: U should move your server to private room. (server room) and use X-simlation program (such as X-manager, Humming bird ...) to access to server to CDE env
HTH
tienna
HP is simple

Good morning ,

up to now we are using a HP C3600 workstation as a file and licence server. It is very comfortable to have the server near your desk to change the tapes for the daily backups.
When I will move the new server to our server room, I have to install the DDS4 tape drive on a local workstation and perform the backup over the network. Do I have to mount the directory to the workstation and start the backup local, or is it possible start the backup on the server and using a remote tape drive. We have to backup 30GB over a 100Gbit network, I hope it will work properly.

Addition to item 2:
When we are booting a UNIX Workstation you are able to stop the boot process ore you see the boot messages on the monitor until you get the CDE login. On our server you get the message ├в no video signal├в until the CDE login appears. Is this a special configuration on this server?

Thank you for your help.

Ruediger
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

1, you can backup via network by using NFS!
in this scenario. server export file system and client will import them.
You can you fbackup to backup your file too.
2, You can stop booting process by using terminal console. see back view of your server (RP5470) you will see DB25 connector. and once W cable.
HTH
tienna
HP is simple
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

1) The fans need to run to keep it cool.
2) You would see the messages like on the workstation for booting only if you have a serial console connected to the rp5470 or log in via the GSP. The graphics card on the rp5470 is only active once the system is booted and CDE is running. It doesn't work like the workstations as you have noted.
3) You should shutdown the server only by running "shutdown -h" as root from /.
Turning off the power, would not flush the buffers to disk and could cause file system corruption. I don't think there is a "smart" switch that detects that you have turned off the machine and then automatically runs shutdown on that system. Regardless, that is dangerous, since the "smart" switches are also programmed to respond to holding them in for a few seconds and forcing a hard shutdown. While some of the workstation sare set up that way, it is a more dangerous practice to use it, than to go in and execute the command.
Mom 6