5850 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: source detail: 3 = low voltage dc power

Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

source detail: 3 = low voltage dc power

deal all,

my server is not booting anymore, ther erros are followed on the attachment.

What can i do?

cheers.

NC/ 

16 REPLIES 16
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What model server do you have?

Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Dennis, i´m running a rp2470.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Your second picture shows the PS listing of the GSP, which says the main power supply is apparently OK. But the error in your first picture is "Fatal power or environmental problem prevents operation" and it is related to "low voltage DC power" which is "failed or mismatched to CPU". This refers to the processor's DC-DC power converter, also known as Processor Support Module. If you haven't changed the system's CPU configuration recently, this probably means a DC-DC converter has failed.

According to partsurfer.hp.com, the part numbers for rp2470 are 0950-3821 for the master DC-DC converter or 0950-3822 for the slave DC-DC converter. Each processor requires one master DC-DC converter, and one or two slave DC-DC converters, depending on processor speed: a 440 MHz processor can run with one slave converter, but a 550 MHz processor needs two. The DC-DC converters are small cards installed to sockets next to each processor: there are 3 DC-DC converter sockets near each processor socket, near the front edge of the system board.

MK
Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Dear Matti,

Thanks for this light, yes I can see the DC-DC power converters for each processo, they come with 3 for each CPU.

1. How can I find out the CPUs Speed in order to see if it's possible to boot it with one master and one slave.

2. There is a way to check which DC-DC Power Converter the failing one.

What happen if i boot the machine with 550 CPU with just one DC-DC Power Converter? 

Cheers. 

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If you currently have 3 DC-DC converter modules for each CPU, I'm afraid all of them are needed for the system to work.

1.) If the OS was running, the suffix of the "model" command would identify the CPU speed in the rp24xx series. But now the system obviously does not run, so you'll need something else. Can you see model numbers on the CPU modules? You might look them up at http://partsurfer.hp.com.

The system model rp2470 actually suggests your processors should be even faster: either 650 MHz or 750 MHz.

2.) If you have a hardware support agreement for your server, you can just let the hardware support people to diagnose and fix this. But if you need to diagnose this yourself, here is one idea:

Do you have another rp2470 you could use to temporarily "loan" a known-good set of power converters from?

You could swap the modules one by one and test each time. Once the problem goes away, the last module you swapped was the faulty one.

I don't recommend removing a CPU if you don't have prior experience on handling the PA-8700 CPU modules: there is a part between the actual CPU and the CPU socket that contains a lot of tiny conductive rubber balls. During use, this gets very hot and often sticks to the CPU socket, so the rubber balls are likely to get damaged when removing the CPU. Therefore, this part is to be regarded as a consumable item when swapping CPUs. (In practice, it's sometimes possible to remove the CPU without damaging the rubber balls, but you must be both very careful and a bit lucky.)

> What happen if i boot the machine with 550 CPU with just one DC-DC Power Converter?

That would be a configuration that is mismatched to the CPU type. You would see the same error message you're seeing now, telling you that the low voltage DC power module is "failed or mismatched to the CPU".

MK
Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Hi MK,

Thanks once more, I'll get the CPU speeds by today and take the approach to change the DC Converters and start to boot it up.

Removing the CPU is not my intension so i'll not touch it now.

i'll get back to you after theses changes.

cheers. 

Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Hi all,

I got a new DC converters, 2 slaves and 2 masters. I did a series of replaces. First on the CPU 0 (changed the Master and Slaves) and than on the CPU 1 the same and tried to boot but the server just boot for 5 seconds and go down again.

You can see the error on the attachment.

When, i can't logon to console just GSP and there i can't do nothing.

Ho can I solve this problem, first i was thinking that the problem was the DC-Converters but now I'm lost.

Cheers

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Your attachment DSC_0011 is a chassis alarm (source: 6 = platform, source detail: 1 = cabinet, problem detail: 7 = unexpected). Did you close the top cover properly? I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the rp24xx series had an interlock switch that stops the server if the cover is not in place.

The other attachment DSC_0012 seems to be taken about 1.5 hours later, and is the same DC converter error as before.

When you took the picture DSC_0011, if this was the only error message, then perhaps you had a good set of DC converters at that point, and only the chassis alarm stopped the server from starting up.

MK
Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Hi MK,

Yes the rp24xx has the cover switch and if you don't cover it, it will not boot, i did it well and switched ON the buttom but it just power ON for a 1min and than goes off again. I don't know what to do now.

any idea?