New Discussion юеВ

Re: startup setup of old K class server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex Almaraz
Regular Advisor

startup setup of old K class server

Hi managers,

Someone knows how to configure the startup process of a K class server with OS: B.11.11 U 9000/899 (May be something like the OK prompt of a Sun server)

Hoping for your response

Regards
18 REPLIES 18
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You can interrupt the boot process at the "Press any key within 10 seconds" prompt and do some of your ISL configuration there.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What do you need to change?
Alex Almaraz
Regular Advisor

Currently the startup process takes almos 40 mins and makes a many memory tests, is there a way to make the startup process faster?

(May be I can not demand more of this old server)

Regards
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

What exactly you want to configure?? The hp-ux server boot process is as follows.

pdc
isl
hp-ux
init+bcheckrc

On PDC prompt, you can server configuration, primary/alternate boot paths, memeory tests etc.

isl-initial system loader. If you interrupt (when it says press any key to interrupt boot process), you can interact with isl ,choose to load os as you want.

hp-ux is kernel. isl gives controll to hp-ux, which sets things up and calls init scripts. init scripts are /sbin/rc?.d depending upon ru level it is booting into or shutting down.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You can turn on FASTBOOT. I can't recall exactly how this is done, but it is somewhere in the ISL menu you get when you interrupt the boot process. Just search through the menus until you find it.

This will speed things up slightly. But there is not a whole lot else you can do to speed up the boot process.
DCE
Honored Contributor

The K's are a slow booting server If your file systems are HFS, and not JFS, the boot time will be extended as well. Converting to JS will at least eliminate the startup fsck's
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

It had been a while since I have touched a k-class but, if you interrupt the boot sequence, you will see one of the options as being "COnfiguration Options" select that one and one of the underlaying menus had an option saying fastboot enabled. You need to enable it if it is not. This will skip the memory tests at the boot time and I know they can tale a looong time.

How much memory in the system? This will impact how fast the server boots as well.

Are there a number of applications to start? Each app that starts at boot will require time as well.

There is no OK prompt on HPUX. When you gracefully halt the system you get the message "It is safe to power off your system" - something to that effect. Power cycle the box and you start booting, unless you interact with ISL.

Alex Almaraz
Regular Advisor

Thanks all for your responses.

In solaris we can set values without restartin the server
e.g.

#eeprom diag-level=min ( as if you were at the ok prompt)

is something like this in HP-UX?

Regards
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

You can interact with the GSP (Guardian Service Processor) and get similar info. Does not need to have the system rebooted.

This is the key sequence.

Do take care in this area since lots of settings affect how the system behaves.