Re: startup setup of old K class server

Hi Alex

Please refer to attached document on K series

Regards
Mahesh
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

There is no GSP on the K-class computer. The only settings you can do with that box (while running HP-UX) is with the setboot command. Depending on how well your system is patched, setboot will have several options concerning boot primary/secondary, autoboot, and in some cases, selftest options that can be bypassed (known as SpeedyBoot).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Alex Almaraz
Regular Advisor

Mahesh,

I am having problems to download the file, can you send it to almaraz2k gmail.com ?

Regards
timmy b.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello, Alex. Yes, the K class is slow to boot, especially if you're fully loaded with memory and cpus. Some things for you to consider.

1. There is no GSP in the K Class. The GSP started in the N and L class servers. The K Class does have a Service Mode, enabled by turning the key on the front of the server all the way to the right and then doing the CTRL-B. There is NO configuration setting in the Service Mode that will help you do what you want to do.

2. When booting, and after the server has gone through it's normal Power On Self Tests, it will stop for 10 seconds at the BCH (Boot Control Handler) screen. Here you can hit any key to halt the autoboot processs. As stated in an earlier post, if you go in the CO (Configuration) menu, you will find FB (Fast Boot) option. Turning FB to ON will disable some of the testing done on memory when you boot.

3. Fast Boot should only be used if you are doing repeated boots, like when patching or tuning kernel parameters. Other than that you should leave FB set to OFF so that the server does the full testing on memory during a reboot. Should your server crash, you would want it to do a complete test on memory to help determine any problems.

I hope these help you out.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Brian Vance
Advisor

Alex,

Enabling fast boot will only skip some of the CPU tests and will not help much. Unfortunatly, with the K-class you just have to be patient. (Unless of course, you want to remove almost all the memory)
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm agree to all answers, don't use fastboot and allow the server to do some tests. It takes some time definitely. Just be patient or order a faster server ... ;-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just to clarify about fastboot. It turns off the extended memory tests. All memory is always tested, but there are more exhaustive tests carried out when fastboot is not enabled. This can add several minutes per Gb of RAM. A 4Gb K460 will need almost 15mins to complete full selftests, about half that time if fastboot is turned on. It doesn't make too much sense to worry about fastboot if the server is running normally. You would want extensive diagnostics with new RAM or after an extended period of being powered off.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Alex Almaraz
Regular Advisor

Thanks all, Bill, Torsten, Brian, timmy, Mahesh,Rick, Mel, DCE, Rac, Patrick.

Indeed, I am not patching and tunning the server, therefore my reason to enable fast boot is to have the server up ASAP. But, taking your recommendations and points of view, I will take a decision, (may be new server, hehehe).

Thanks again guys,

Alex