1748160 Members
3851 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

superdome maximum cpu

hpuxrox
Respected Contributor

superdome maximum cpu

I am looking for the maximum number of CPU sthat can be configured in a Superdome HyperPlex cluster. I see top 500 have 382, but is this maximum theoretical number of CPUs a Superdome cluster can contain? Or, is this the biggest ever built?
8 REPLIES 8
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Re: superdome maximum cpu

Some people have problems that makes me dream :)

from http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/scalableservers/superdome/index.html :

"The HP 9000 Superdome is scalable to 1 TB and 128 processors via 2 partitions of 512 GB and 64 processors each. Single partition support of 1TB and 128 processors will be available with future HP-UX 11i releases "

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
hpuxrox
Respected Contributor

Funny, I see a few 3 node 192 CPU HPlex Superdomes and many more 382 CPU HyperPlex Superdomes listed on top500.org. I know these are custom jobs, but I was wondering what the theoretical max was. So, the question is not what the cookie cutter max CPU configuration is, but the max configuration that can be produced by HP with the right amount of money utilizing this architecture.
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Check if the below links help:

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/HP_High_Availability_White_Papers_Jay/GartnerGroupReportonServiceGuardFeb2002.pdf

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Jov
Honored Contributor

Its clustered, thus not 382 processors for a single OS instance.

As another poster mentioned, the hightest HP offer with HP-UX 11i at the moment 64 cpus even tho the superdome can be configured to 128-way.

Regards

Jov
Manish Srivastava
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

As far as I know there Superdome can have max 128 CPU's. Your no. 382 seems to me a mistake or the tool you are using to see this value has a problem.

manish
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

You say a 3 nodes cluster with 192 CPU... sounds to me like 3 Superdomes with 64 CPU.

If you count this way, you can have 128*N CPUs, where N is the node count. Question is : How many nodes can you have ?

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

HyperPlex clustering would typically use HP HyperFabric2 switches and adapters. I see 8 port HyperFabric2 switches. Both point to point and via a switch are supported. A single Superdome Supports a maximum of 8 HyperFabric2 cards. Still, think about connecting this up, it starts to boggle my mind, once I get to 8 Superdomes. That would get you to 1024 processors. However, I saw a document that claimed up to 64 HyperPlex nodes were possible. So the answer hear is somewhere between 1024 and 8192. Likely, the biggest ever built is classified information.

Recently, for Integrity Superdomes, Infiniband became an optional interconnect fabric. It uses 12 port switches, so with just the simple connection you get to 1536 CPUs.

If you are talking ServiceGuard, the maximum number of nodes (Fabric or not) is 16.
Mom 6