1753797 Members
7820 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

swapping hdisk with HP-UX installed

william_161
Advisor

swapping hdisk with HP-UX installed

At work we started to have lots of hp9000 dx2 servers. i've installed hp-ux 11.0 onto a hdisk and when i remove this disk and put it into another hp9000 server, it boot up from it but gives me error and warning message. Is it possible to swap this hdisk to other hp9000 servers as that it takes a long time to install the hp-ux into a machine. If u can please advice me on how to do it
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: swapping hdisk with HP-UX installed

Unless the other computers are exact duplicates (same I/O, same disks and addresses, same LAN cards, etc), using another boot disk will have the difficulties you are seeing. Using Ignite/UX, you can install a configured and patched image in about an hour from tape.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Binukuttan VM_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi willaim,

you can swap hard disks within the same series of hp 9000 family.
Example ,
D2xx -> D2xx
D3xx -> D3xx( eg:D380-D320)
rp5xxx -> rp54xx( eg: 5410,rp5470)
N4000 -> N4000

It is like that, server should have same core i/o and processor card.

Good Luck
regds
Binu

william_161
Advisor

Thanks guys. I need to have a look at the server config to see if they are exact duplicates.. But can i create a bootable tape with HP-UX on it and boot off and use STM/SAM from it ?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The Ignite/UX product (free download) will create a bootable tape that can be used to copy an existing VG00, then either restore it to the same computer or to other computers in the same family. NOTE: Ignite/UX will overwrite the destination system disk--it is designed as a recovery method. Once restored, the result is a clone of the source system with all the features of the original. If you restore the target system interactively (one of the menu choices), you can specify a new hostname, IP address and other customized network settings.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin