1752805 Members
5793 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: trying to boot up a L-class rp5450

kevin h_2
Advisor

trying to boot up a L-class rp5450

When I turn the power on, the power light is blinking. What does this indicate? I am not a unix admin, so this is all new to me.
10 REPLIES 10
TTr
Honored Contributor

If you don't have a console connected to it you should. Only that will tell you what is happening with the server. Most likely the server has started the POST process.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

A L-class/rp54xx machine can take three power cables and has up to three power supply modules. If only one of them is powered, the system will start up only if it has a very low-end configuration. With a full set of 4 CPUs, two working power supply modules (out of three) are required to start. If the configuration is incorrect, the server can refuse to power up.

When the power light of a rp5450 is blinking, it means at least one power cable is connected, but the server is turned off.

The power button is under a lid to protect it from accidental presses: lift the lid, then press the button.

If the server does not start using the power button, connect a terminal (or a computer with terminal emulator software) to the serial port marked "console". Press Ctrl-B to access the Guardian Service Processor (GSP): as long as the machine receives power, it is always on.
When you get the GSP prompt, type "PC" for Power Control, then confirm that you wish to switch the system on. What happens?

If it still does not work, use the "SL" command of the GSP to view the hardware error log. It displays one event at a time: keep pressing Enter until you've seen all the events. Is there anything indicating a hardware failure or mis-configuration?

(A tip: if you use a computer with terminal emulator software as the console, you can usually set the software to capture all the text that is displayed. That makes it easy to post the log here or email it to your hardware maintenance provider for further analysis.)

Find the manuals for your hardware at:
http://docs.hp.com/en/hw.html

MK
MK
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

This might help:

http://docs.hp.com/en/rp54xx_Update/index.html

hth,
Senthil-kumar
Occasional Advisor

What is the status of the other LEDs ?
kevin h_2
Advisor

The lights from the front panel are:

the run and power lights are solid and the attn light is blinking.

I have been trying to find a console, but not able to locate one. What are the steps to run this through a "web console" and/or what is needed to see what is going on?

thanks,
cnb
Honored Contributor

Kevin,

You'll need to locally setup the GSP lan and then you can telnet into it:

http://docs.hp.com/en/A5201-90017/index.html

hth,
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I have been trying to find a console...

You can use a laptop/PC with a null modem serial cable. You also need the "W" cable in the back of the L server. It is the core i/o cable that plugs in to the back of the server and splits into 3 serial 9-pin connectors one for console, one for remote and one for UPS.

Senthil-kumar
Occasional Advisor

When you say the power and run are solid, then the system must be up. The blinking attention LED indicates some non critical error.
kevin h_2
Advisor

Is there a way to find out the service processor hostname?