New Discussion юеВ

Re: v2500

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

v2500

Hi,

I was hoping someone could tell me or point me in the correct direction to find out what cables I need to properly connect a B180L workstation to this v-class.I have worked on v-class's before but I have never connected a workstation to it.Another thing I will be also connecting a SC10 to it,is it possible to find cables for this over 40 feet or am I limited on how far I can have my array and workstation from it?

Thank you for your time.
Jon
4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Wow, still running this box?

The teststation is connected to the server via a very special AUI cable (LAN) from the workstation to the test- and core-AUI port of the server.
Another connection is a serial cable between the WS and the RS-232A port of the server.

The SC10 is a LVD device, so the rules apply for LVD scsi - but I cannot measure in feet so well. Long cables are always a good reason for trouble anyway.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

We still have a V-class server: an application was certified for HP-UX 11.00 only and the customer needed more CPU power than a N-class could supply.

The serial connection is mostly equivalent to a console connection in other HP 9000 servers. However, if you need to run hardware diagnostics or change hardware configurations, you'll need the full functionality of the SPP console workstation.

In our setup, there is a 10base2 (thin-coax Ethernet) transceiver connected to the AUI port of the B180L. On the coax segment, there are two additional transceivers that are connected to the test- and core-AUI ports of the V-class. The serial connection from the V-class also goes to the serial port of the B180L.

As far as I understand, it's not recommended to put anything other than V-class server (or servers) and the console workstation on this coax segment. This prevents any interference with the diagnostic protocol.

So, you'll need:
- 3 thin Ethernet transceivers with an AUI connector
- 2 AUI cables, as the transceivers cannot be plugged directly on the AUI connectors on the V-class (the side skin won't fit on over the transceivers)
- a suitable amount of thin-Ethernet cabling for your setup. Generally this means at least 2 pieces of cable, 2 terminators and 3 T-connectors (one for each transceiver).
- a null modem cable to connect the V-class serial console output to the workstation's serial port

The workstation is supposed to run HP-UX 10.20 with a special SPP console software package installed (goes to /spp directory). I'm not aware of SPP software for 11.00 or later OS versions.

MK
MK
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your help

Jon