Vjacheslav_1

vPartitions Superdome share SCSI adapter

Can vPartitions share SCSI adapter, or each vPartition can have its own SCSI
4 REPLIES 4
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: vPartitions Superdome share SCSI adapter

Hi,

I believe all vpars need to have their own adapters. Check this doc for more info.

http://docs.hp.com/en/T1335-90027/T1335-90027.pdf

Hope this helps,
Robert-Jan
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Sorry - no.
All vPars must have unique I/O devices.
They can "share" an I/O cage but not any device contained within.
So they must all have unique SCSI HBAs.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

The lowest granularity you can go to is to a slot. So, if you have a 4 port NIC or dual port fiber card, the ENTIRE card must be in a specific vpar. You cannot split one port to one vpar and the second port to a second vpar.

Also, if your Npar that your vpar resides in spans multiple cells and I/O cardcages, your vpar can span as well.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

No. (not yet).

Hopefully a future release of vPars (on the Integrity platforms at least) will allow for peripeheral sharing (ie. I/O and LAN).

The future Virtual Server Environment strategy will also offer sub-CPU partitioning but no concrete dates yet.

So right now (even with vPars 3.02 for the MAKO environments) - you are still manadated to have per CPU and PCI/PCI_X SLOT granularity.

Interistingly, you can have a vPar use a minimum of a single PCI/PCI-X slot... a combo FC-HBA/GigE card will do as you can now boot off via FC to an EVA or an XP storage.

Hakuna Matata.