New Discussion юеВ

Re: vga card on an rp3410 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nabil Boussetta
Frequent Advisor

vga card on an rp3410 server

i'd like to buy an rp3410 server.

ihave read the white paper. the server does not contain a vga to card to connect a monitor.

is it possible to buy a pci-x vga card to be able to connect a monitor to the server ?

the server contains 4 usb ports. i guess that there is no problem to connect a mouse and a keybord to the server . is that true ?
8 REPLIES 8
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi nabil,

The only supported vga card is this for the RP3410
PCI-2D Graphics and 2 port USB Adapters A6150B

All supported accesories can be found here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00290132&lc=en#misc

and docs about the rp3410 can be located here

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/hw.html#HP%209000%20rp3410/rp3440%20Server

Andy

Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, it's possible for rp3410 to have a graphic card. The graphic card product number is A6150B.

And yes, there will be no problem to connect a mouse and a keyboard to the server. But make sure both device is HP products.

Hope this information can help you.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Additional information :

Check the url below (docID : KBAN00001101) about 'RP34x0, On-board VGA Graphics Capability is NOT SUPPORTED' :

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000078003481

Hope this information can help you.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Nabil,

HP servers are not expected to use graphical consoles. Even if you do find a working VGA card you can expect problems and no support in anything other than the character interface. If you want an PA-RISC system with a working graphics console you need to find a Work Station that meets your requirements.

However, you can still use a Server to support a XDMCP user interface. This interface will look and feel just like your on a systems graphic console. My prefered configuration is a Windows XP desktop/portable running the current version of Reflection X.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I agree (mostly) and disagree with Ken. I agree that the C8000 workstation may be a better choice if you want to use it as a graphics workstation. I also agree that a Windows XP box running Reflections X (and Reflections terminal emulator via RS-232) is a better choice than the graphics card since it can also server as the system console. While the A6150B is supported in the rp3410 there are things you need to understand about how it operates. First, it only becomes active after the operating system boots and CDE starts, so that makes it totally impossible to use as a system console. This is not the case for the C8000 workstation where the graphics work for the console at boot. Also, the default resolution of the A6150B is 1280x1024, so you have to make sure you have a monitor that can support that or manually change it via the system console. If you do the console via the SecureWeb console or other RS-232 terminal, then the A6150B can do the job for 2D (X11/CDE) displays, so I don't agree with Ken that there is no support for it. If you don't do 1280x1024 resolution, you may encounter additional issues, which I have conquered before on other servers with that card with some work. There are no 3-D drivers for the A6150B, although some software can do 3-D, without hardware acceleration, in X-11 more slowly.
Mom 6
Nabil Boussetta
Frequent Advisor

it's OK.

could you tell me where to find a quickspec for this graphic card.

i'd like to khnow how much memory it provides ?
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Hi Nabil and Ted,

Just wanted to clarify what I meant by "not supported". I did not mean it could be done, or that you couldn't find equipment to do it. I meant that HP as a rule does not provide support for graphics consoles on server class equipment. There are some patches for servers that will not work with graphics consoles, though the ones I do recall off handle were issues with 7400's.

Just a word of caution, if you want a graphics console and support from HP on any issues you may have with that server, then you want to verify before hand that the hardware combination will be supported by HP. If you don't you could find yourself having to remove the card before being able to get support from HP.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor