Re: vi takes to CONSOLE MODE CO>

SOLVED
Go to solution
rveri
Super Advisor

vi takes to CONSOLE MODE CO>

Hi All ,

I am using G30/800 HP-UX 11.00 .

I am using vi editor , while in vi , there is an option of Ctrl+b to scroll one screen back.

But when I pressed Ctrl+b i got the Console prompt.

What is wrong!!,

Thanks ,

RVeri.
5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

you have the system in Service mode.
You need to turn this off, I think it used to be a switch on the Multifunction card or something like that
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Slawomir Gora
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it is normal when you are working on system terminal console CTRL-B always
switch you to GSP (MP in new servers). In your case to Console prompt.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

To the system console, b is a special key sequence that gets you into the Guardian Service Processor, or GSP (it may well have another name on a G30 - but it's the same idea). I suggest you use another key sequence. The page up/page down keys should work or you can just use j and k.

Pete

Pete
rveri
Super Advisor

Thanks ,

Burner , Slawomir . & Pete , for pointing to the fact.

Well using j,k i can move towards screen , and its good , rather using Ctrl+B , which takes to ( GSP )or CO .

Many Thanks,

R. Veri,
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Reveri,
SInce this is a nice ol g class. If you look at the card the console is plugged into there is a lil black switch at the top this switch is external so you do not need to yank anything. The one end is service ... the other end is not. This switch can be switched while the achine is running.

This should take this problem away while using vi on the console. The one important thing to remember though ... is if you need to do a ctrl+b and then rs to reboot the machine or similar you will need to flip the switch to service.

Regards
Gerhard