108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: web concole basics

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

web concole basics

Can someone help me with some web console basics? First time I've had a server with the seperate IP address for a console.

So I'm looking at the web console login screen, it says "Service Processor Login:"

The HP tech had hit a CTRL key to get to a unix console login I think, but I can't remember what that was. And I'm not sure what the Service Processor login is for either for that matter.

Any docs on this subject?
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
10 REPLIES 10
Tom Smith_9
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Fred,
Initially the sequence is release then press "c" release and then "f". This should give you access to the console.

After that Pressing Ctrl-B will will get you back to the processor login.

As far as a login, try just hitting return for the username and password. Or try User="admin", password="admin". I have found these to be common.

I don't have any docs handy, I will try to forward a link a little later.

Hope this helps.
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

I didn't know it, but there are no users set up currently in the GSP, so this time I just hit enter past the user and password, hit enter again, then got the instruction about ^Ecf, as you had said.

There are only two admins here and I don't want to start managing accounts on yet another device :) is there a best practice for this GSP thing? Should I just set up a single account there for admins?

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Also this server is running v11.00 and I'm about to do a cold install of 11.11 ... can this be done through the web console or should I hook up a terminal to the box? Will the GSP survice a cold install?
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

survice=survive
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

I got an answer to the question about the install; I'm told the web interface is a seperate device and the OS install, reboots etc. can be performed through it.
All set.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

If you are refering to the secure web console hardware, the manual is at http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/hw/swc/index.html. Click on SWC on upper middle of the page to move forward. If it is built-in then go to the intallation guide for your server, for example, the Installation Guide rp5400 Family of Servers at http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/A5191-96022/A5191-96022.html

Mom 6
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Fred,

The GSP can have only 1 administrator account, it's the first account you create.

If you need to give others console access, but don't want them to have control over the admin GSP options such as:
AR (Automatic server Restart)
DC (Default Configuration)
IT (Inactivity Timeout)
LC (LAN Configuration)
PG (PaGing)
SO (Security Options)

then you should set up separate accounts. whatever you do, you should set up an account with password, otherwise anyone on the network could enter the GSP, reboot in single user mode, and reset the root password, giving them unlimited access to the system.

Josh
What are the chances...
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Correction, you have the option to set each new user as an administrator or operator.

Josh
What are the chances...
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Ok, I set up user number 1 and set it for admin rights. I can get to the GSP as admin, and get a systemn console login.

Is there any way for other normal users to just get to the system console to log in as themselves, without needing a service processor login account?

Or is that not advisable?