Did you mean: 

what is a core I/O card in npar ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pulse001
Regular Advisor

what is a core I/O card in npar ?

Hello all,

what is a core I/O card in npar ? I am a bit confused about this.
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: what is a core I/O card in npar ?

Core I/O The core I/O in Superdome provides the base set of I/O functions required by every Superdome partition. Each partition must have at least one core I/O card in order to boot. Multiple core I/O cards may be present within a partition (one core I/O card is supported per I/O backplane); however, only one may be active at a time. Core I/O will utilize the standard long card PCI X form factor but will add a second card cage connection to the I/O backplane for additional non PCI X signals (USB and utilities). This secondary connector will not impede the ability to support standard PCI X cards in the core slot when a core I/O card is not installed.

Any I/O chassis can support a Core I/O card that is required for each independent partition. A system configured with 16 cells, each with its own I/O chassis and core I/O card could support up to 16 independent partitions. Note that cells can be configured without I/O chassis attached, but I/O chassis cannot be configured in the system unless attached to a cell.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/archives_Division/11717_div_v1/11717_div.HTML
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

HP-UX Core I/O (A6865A)

The core I/O card's primary functions are:

* Partitions (console support) including USB and RS 232 connections
* 10/100Base T LAN (general purpose)

Other common functions, such as Ultra/Ultra2 SCSI, Fibre Channel, and Gigabit Ethernet, are not included on the core I/O card. These functions are, of course, supported as normal PCI X add in cards.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/archives_Division/11717_div_v1/11717_div.HTML
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi pulse,

Core I/O card is a "multi function" card which is present on a single circuit board and the functions being what michael has mentioned. For every npar you require a "core I/O aware" card which is the minimum requirement of an npar especially for console access.

To support core I/O , you can have interface cards as well.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Pulse001
Regular Advisor

Thanks a lot everybody for your response. But i understand that now core I/O is provided on each cell (sx2000) and earlier it was not so. Am i right ?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The sx2000 based superdome has no dedicated core I/O card, but older models (sx1000 and the legacy systems) have.

Don't worry about the core I/O requirements related to nPars/vPars on this system.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!