BladeSystem - General
1748239 Members
3821 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Manually moving VCEM licence from old server - is old license number displayed?

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Manually moving VCEM licence from old server - is old license number displayed?

Question from Kevin's customer:

My customer is building a new VCEM server the old one is 6.2 and the new one 7.3

They will be moving one enclosure at a time from the old VCEM server to the new one as we update VC, they currently have a wide range of VC firmware.

I don’t have visibility of the VCEM menus, can you please tell me if the license for a particular enclosure can be seen in the VCEM GUI or extracted by CLI and if so where, so I can advise the customer, or are they not displayed and the customer will need their original licence documents (which they don’t seem to be able to find).

The definitive word from Fred our VCEM expert:

Hello Kevin,

The customer will need their original license documents. The licenses for enclosures aren’t exposed in the VCEM GUI or CLI.

The alternative would be to migrate from the old Central Management Server (CMS) to the new CMS using Insight Management data migration tools (DMT). This transfers the licenses as part of the migration. The tradeoff is that this would mean an en-mass migration rather than the one enclosure at a time approach currently under consideration.

Questions?