1751751 Members
3840 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Updating firmware via usb on C3000 C7000 OA

p33tew
Occasional Advisor

Updating firmware via usb on C3000 C7000 OA

Does anyone know if its possible to update the blade (not chassis) firmware of blades using the newest SPP 2012 using a usb drive plugged into the OA - usb port... so in theory the blade will boot from the usb which is connected to the OA.

The usb is bootable using the ISO of SPP 2012

Is this possible...?

I know booting an iso is possible via ilo - dont want to do it this way no more...23 sites to go!

Any suggestions welcomed...

thanks

thanks
16 REPLIES 16
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

Yes, it works just fine.  You'll need to connect them from the DVD Drive page.  Setting all the servers to for a One Time Boot to CD-ROM has worked best for me.

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Does work ! Just make sure that you are not downloading the subset ISO's download the full ISO ( bootable one )

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
p33tew
Occasional Advisor

I have tried -

• using a different usb...these both are new 2gb
  • Tried the same for DVD Drive page from the enclosure settings for the selected blade to one time   boot from CD rom & Floppy A.
  • Tried from Devices and selected my blade to one time boot from cd rom

I dont have a dvd drive in the blade chassis - the usb drive is setup using the HP USB software and the ISO was extracted to the usb.

Still not working - my OA version is 3.31 - if yours work...what OA version do you have?

thanks
p33tew
Occasional Advisor

For those that have this working -
Do you have your ISO extracted or is your ISO file copied to your usb drive? I have an extraction but its bootable so in theory I can add files to the hpswpackages to update later...
thanks
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Do not extract the ISO and then copy , do not directly copy the image to the USB, you got to use the HP USB utility or for that matter any app that makes the ISO bootable to USB

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-9239be09de8445df862ef01788

Boot from USB should work if , Once done browse to the USB add any files to SWPackages if needed!

Goutham Sabala
p33tew
Occasional Advisor

I can boot from usb when the ISO is copied to it as flat file. This worked when the usb was in the OA usb port.

When using HP use drive key...version 1.6 - Extract and make bootable usb does not work...

I tried one time boot from cd-rom from blade and also DVD drive in the enclosure settings.

Any other idea's?

thanks
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

I agree, because the boot utility is quite old and SPP is released recently  , may be some compatibilty issues , if you look at the description HP SPP is not yet tried and tested and SPP is not updated to be working on the description. If the flat works fine, wow gr8 makes it all easier :)

" The HP USB Key Utility is a Windows application that will allow the user to copy the SmartStart CD, Firmware Maintenance CD, or Easy Setup CD contents to a USB memory key "

Goutham Sabala
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

What you are trying to do won't work through the OA - to use it that way you have to plug it into each blade server from the front using the dongle.  Which is a pain - use the ISO file and you can do all your servers at the same time.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The usb key utility has a problem (at least for me) with the ISO file. But if you mount the ISO file in a virtual DVD drive or just burn it, then the utility can copy it to an usb stick without problems.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!