1752494 Members
5081 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect Enterprise Manage (VCEM) CLI for "Multiple Networks"

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Virtual Connect Enterprise Manage (VCEM) CLI for "Multiple Networks"

Dan had a question regarding adding of networks to a VCEM "Multiple Network" setting

Verbiage in the CLI Guide for VCEM 7.2 is not very clear to me.

Can someone confirm that...

Set server-port-map

Is the right command to ADD an additional Network to an existing "Multiple Networks" entry?

And its brother 'set server-port-map-range' does the same but can add more than one Network at a time?

Customer is looking for Network Sets feature from HP OneView and I told them scripting in their VCEM is the best we can do for now.  Matrix and CSA involved.

Input from Kelly:

I had done a script earlier this year for a customer, it was a perl script to generate the VCEM commands to "true-up" two profiles.  We would point at a "source" profile, then it would mimic the Ethernet settings to the target profile.  We did not want to "delete" the profile, because of the need to preserve WWIDs.  It was part of a Flex-10D upgrade, so they were doing a total face-lift on profile port assignments.

I glanced at some of my notes and text files...  sorry - you may need to validate

# Sets port # 3 to Backup-VLAN-2002A  (not multiple – it wipes out all other vlans, clean starting point) - and get the speed set

vcemcli -set enet-connection -profilename TestProfile -portnumber 3 -network Backup-VLAN-2002A  -speedtype CUSTOM -speed 6000 

#  It appears, I would then issue a similar command as the above to switch the port to a "multiple network port"  (note – this is the same vlan as above) – seems like a “duplicate” command, but I think I figured out I had to do it

vcemcli -add server-port-map -profilename TestProfile -portnumber 3 -network Backup-VLAN-2002A -vlanid 2002 

#  Then to add MORE vlans to the multiple-networks port, just the add command

vcemcli -add server-port-map -profilename TestProfile -portnumber 3 -network Backup-VLAN-2003A -vlanid 2003 

vcemcli -add server-port-map -profilename TestProfile -portnumber 3 -network Vmotion-VLAN-561A -vlanid 561

This overall script did not work for us, the amount of profile changes (number of “vcemcli” commands we had to issue) was very high - aprox 50 to 70 – one for each vlan on each port, each command would take 5 to 30 seconds depending on the profile status, the script would run for ever…  I exchange with some team members, the one item that helped was to use a local user id on the VCEM server to reduce the “authentication” for every vcemcli command.  The customer could do the profile changes quicker via the GUI, and we used another script to audit the work.

To answer your last question, if a port has 10, 20 and 30,  you  can just add 40 with the “-add server-port-map” and they will all be there.  If you would only want 40, use the “-set server-port-map” command.

Any other help?